Topic

zpacks backpack fabrics: dcf/nylon -vs- gripstop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) zpacks backpack fabrics: dcf/nylon -vs- gripstop

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tom c
    BPL Member

@teepee

Hi all –

I am going to be getting a zpacks arc blast or arc haul, and am hoping for real-world long term experience with the two fabric options (dyneema laminated with nylon face on the Blast, dyneema (?) Gripstop on the Haul)

I am careful with my gear, but use it a lot and but am often in trail-less wilderness areas. general durability (eg, not tearing) is important, but also maintaining full waterproofing as it rains, and the pack is my dry bag across rivers. (I would plan on fully seam sealing the gripstop)

Reviews seem to indicate the dcf/nylon is plenty abrasion resistant?

What about the DCF and long term creasing/pin-hole problems?  Ive seen some pictures of used arc-blasts that look quite ‘aligator-skin’ like.  Does the extra thickness of the nylon actually exacerbate forming pinholes?

On the other hand, I don’t have any real experience with the gripstop fabric.  I do love the heavier hunting pack I have in x42 XPAC, long-term durability wise; that is a really burley fabric I’m not sure how comparable to gripstop it is.

Thanks!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I think they are both fine fabrics.  The cuben is lighter and waterproof and more costly; it’s likely not quite as durable (but plenty durable for me for most backpacking) and costs more.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Really depends on where you hike. The DCF hybrid doesn’t take abrasion very well. Granite, canyon walls, etc will destroy that 50d poly face fabric pretty quickly. Outside of that issue, I prefer it to the 210d nylon gridstop fabric. Mostly waterproof, doesn’t hold any water when it rains, lighter, etc.

Ryan

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I have the cuben Arc Blast and agree with above. It depends how you define “abrasion” — it will stand up well to light scraping on granite, but if you are pressing the fabric hard against the rock while abrading it that will wear it down. Keep in mind that, as Ryan noted, the DCF is bonded to an outer polyester layer, so that is what actually will be abrading until worn through.

I’m pretty careful with my gear, I’ve had my pack for 4 years and have only had one small hole on the bottom that was easily repaired with some cuben tape, otherwise looks almost new (OK the big front mesh pocket doesn’t, but the cuben hybrid fabric does).

tom c
    BPL Member

@teepee

Thanks all.

On the DCF pieces I’ve owned (stuff sacks, tarps), I’ve experienced a number of pinholes, in circumstances that silnylon or PU-backed fabrics haven’t.  Seems like folding/packing, and stitching stress, creates creasing that is the a bit of a feedback loop, and eventually pin holes start at crease corners or stitching locations.

Have you experienced this? Is the heavier/laminated arc-blasts fabric significantly less prone to this?

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Hey Tom, folding/stuffing isn’t an issue with the fabric of your pack, so no worries. Potentially it could manifest with the roll-top, but you can roll it loosely if you want and achieve the same water resistance as rolling it tightly. I roll mind more on the tight side and haven’t noticed any issues.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools