Topic

Zpacks Arc Air 60L vs Arc Haul 62L

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks Arc Air 60L vs Arc Haul 62L

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Peter Lester
    BPL Member

@peterlester

I was planning to purchase a Arc Haul, but saw this morning that Zpacks has released a 60L version of the Arc Air. Now indecision has set it.

Does any have experience with both a Arc Air and a Arc Haul? Recommendation between the two?

Any thoughts on ROBIC vs Gridstop?

Thanks!

Tom L
    Spectator

@ctkeebler

I was wither same thing. Did you make a decision?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have an early arc haul with black gridstop purchased in 2017. Still looks and functions as brand new so durability is of no concern. Were I buying today, I would go with the arc air in robic as I think the trampoline-less design is simpler and robic’s waterproofness is more durable. The packbag W and D dimensions are the same except the air H is 3/4 inch shorter…I doubt I could discern the 2L difference in volume.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I just purchased the Arc Air. I’ve owned a Arc Haul. Having the frame in sleeves looks like

a big advantage but I have not seen it yet up close.

Peter Lester
    BPL Member

@peterlester

I purchased the 60L Arc Air. I’ve done two test hikes with ~25 lbs; t carries well. Next weekend I leave on a week backpacking trip in Yosemite with a friend who has Arc Haul; that will give me a chance to do a side by side comparison.

Tom L
    Spectator

@ctkeebler

Would be great to hear the comparison if you carry the arc air one day and arc haul the next

I have the arc haul but wonder if I should get the air instead. Arcing the frame is not as easy as I thought to get the same arc in each side without the back panel having a twist

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

So got the Arc Air 50L Backpack in the mail today. I have also owned zpacks blast, arc haul, hmg windrider and others. Anyway love the Arc Air 50L Backpack, it’s an improvement on the others in my opinion. Having the frame enclased  helps the frame keep the right shape, the new material for the big pocket on the front of the pack is stretchy, zpacks took the perfect pack and made it better. I like backpacks that are wide and narrow so the weight close to your back, the Arc Air 50L Backpack does that and still allows airflow. The hipbelt with the two adjustments is the best I’m found in ultralight backpacks. I recommend getting the y strap for your bear cannister, I pack my food in the pack and strap the empty bear can on top when possible.

Scott H
    BPL Member

@cbk57

My son and I currently use the seek outside flight 1, The bottle pockets are not really accessible while hiking, I have made due by strapping a bottle holster on the shoulder strap, however seek out side did not really design the shoulder strep webbing to work well with their or other bottle holders.  I have made due with their version but that is all it is really doing.  My son really could not stand having a bottle on his shoulder, it just irritated him.  So I will be selling his pack, I just found the new arc air I am considering getting him that or the flight 2.

One thing that impresses me about the arc air is how adaptable it is, you can customize as you like which I think will work better for my son.  The arc of the pack looks a lot like the seek outside frame as it creates an air gap and pack sits on your shoulders and waist.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

One thing to consider, the Arc Air 50L Backpack is it is only comfortable with a light base weight, you’d have to look it up on zpacks, I don’t remember what it is but it’s probably around 20 lbs or less.

Peter Lester
    BPL Member

@peterlester

I recently completed a 5-day trip in Yosemite with my new Arc Air 60L. It definitely carries better than my gen 1 Arc Blast (no load lifters, flat stays, 1st gen hip belt).

I spent some time walking around camp one afternoon carrying my buddy’s Arc Haul. I didn’t notice a huge difference in comfort between his Arc Haul and my Arc Air, maybe a slight edge to the Arc Air. Only time and use will tell on the durability of Arc Haul Gridstop fabric vs. Arc Air Robic fabric.

@Anthony
    – The Arc Air will comfortably carry more than 20 lbs. The Zpacks website says 35 lbs. for both the 50L and 60L. I never carried that much but I found the Arc Air comfortable at ~ 27 lbs. (with the drought many of the streams shown on the map were not running and being uncertain of what streams would be running I carried much more water than I normally would).

Bottom line – I’d be happy with either the Arc Air 60L or Arc Haul with a slight preference for the Air.

Peter Lester
    BPL Member

@peterlester

@Scott – I’ve found the water bottle pockets easily accessible in all of the Zpacks packs I’ve carried (Blast, Haul, Air).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools