Topic

Zpack Duplex – Drafty or Cold?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpack Duplex – Drafty or Cold?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Al K
    BPL Member

@aloncc

Locale: South Florida

In market for new lightweight tent mainly for summer solo travel and trying to decide between Duplex of BA Fly Creek 2 Platinum. Pros and Cons for both, however, the Duplex is definitively a nicer tent to be in and get in and out of. Question is, is it also a colder draftier tent? I do get cold easily as I live in South Florida. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I haven’t used the BA Fly Creek, but have used a Duplex plenty, and now use an Altaplex. I definitely think the Duplex would be more drafty, which jives with most reviews I’ve read as well.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I haven’t found a way to completely prevent drafts in my Duplex. If this is for summer use in south Florida, is that really a problem? There’s no such thing as cold there.

Al K
    BPL Member

@aloncc

Locale: South Florida

No such thing as cold in South Florida. Duplex would be for when cold South Floridian travels to, for example, mountains Wind River in summer or Grand Canyon in winter.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Duplex would be for when cold South Floridian travels to, for example, mountains Wind River in summer or Grand Canyon in winter.

In that case, I’d look at a mid like the MLD Duomid that can be pitched close to the ground.  Maybe it’s my limited experience pitching it, but I haven’t found a way to pitch it low enough to really eliminate drafts. From other posts I’ve read, it sounds like that’s not really possible.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

The Duplex *can* be pitched right to the ground by shortening the poles appropriately, but that doesn’t mean it is done so without serious tradeoffs. Since the bathtub floor simply hangs from the canopy, pitching the Duplex 4″ lower causes the bathtub to disappear and the floor becomes a loose sheet of DCF not the ground.  Not a horrible problem if it’s windy and dry, but a potential nightmare if windy and rainy.  The other issue is with the overlapping doors, as in windy conditions the tent needs to be pitched with the correct end facing the wind.  In swirling wind conditions this is obviously not possible and wind will enter the overlap.  And while this technique does not apply solely to the Duplex, building a berm of branches, leaves, pine needles, etc along the upwind edge of the shelter goes a long way toward reducing airflow.

That said, my experience with the BA Platinum Fly Creek shows it to have a completely different, but equally troublesome, set of flaws in the wind.  The single ridge pole and staked out rear corners are very poor at supporting the fly in the wind.  There are many reports of this on BPL and elsewhere for this tent and others that share this design.  Personal experience during a steady 20 mph/30 gusts night shows the interior volume of the BA will be reduced between 30-35% by the upwind side of the tent being collapsed.  It *might* be less drafty, but you can’t easily pitch its fly to the ground either.

All in all, and given identical weather conditions, I’d choose the Duplex every time.  FYI, NC Florida resident here who only camps in the cold :).  Since you say the shelter is “mainly for summer solo travel”, IME you cannot beat the Duplex in those conditions.

Lastly, If you are truly concerned about wind, I’d steer you away from both of the shelters you mention.  While I have no personal experience with it, Brad’s suggestion of a Duomid makes good sense and there is plenty of feedback on this site from Mid owners to qualify that type of shelter as a good choice for windy conditions.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Good points, JCH. I’ve always wanted the bathtub floor, so I never dropped the Duplex that low.

I have a sil Duomid and inner on order for my son to try.  Hopefully it will arrive before he ages out of scouts, but he’s 15, so it might be close.  :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools