Topic

ZPACK Arc backpacks – advice on DCF vs GRIDSTOP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPACK Arc backpacks – advice on DCF vs GRIDSTOP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

I’ve narrowed my search for a new backpack to the ZPACKS arc series(I’m an Osprey user and I like the trampoline back…its just a preference…I even enjoy the bounce hehe).

So I’m deciding on the Blast vs the Haul. The Blast is DCF, waterproof inside and out, and weights 20.6. The HAUL is GRIDSTOP, water proofed on the inside, and weights 23.3.

I was leaning toward the GRIDSTOP because I want this backpack to last as many miles as possible…(like 5k+ or two or more thru hikes). I noticed the Blast is DCF covered with something else but I dont know how long it lasts. So here are my priorities:

1. Should last at least two through hikes 5k+
    2. Weight…but they are pretty close
    3. Water-resistance. DCF is water proof. Gridstop is water proof inside. Does this mean it will absorb water and get heavier?

So I have no answer for 1 and 3. Do they differ alot in durability? Am I making too much of a big deal about Gridstop getting wet and absorbing water? Hoping someone with exprience with one or both of these packs chimes in!

BTW, thanks everyone for helping me earier with a new shelter. I got a MLD Doumid!

Thanks.

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

Almost 3 oz is a big deal to me, so I have had the arc blast for 3 or 4 years. The failure mode is not the fabric. Suggest you do not use the load lifter straps. Swinging the pack onto your back can cause the fiberglass support rod to come out of its socket.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I really dislike having to spend weight in simply carrying gear. If you are looking for a light pack, the DCF laminates are NOT the way to light weight. That said, the DCF version is lighter than the gridstop version. Use a lot of caution because setting the gridstop version of the pack on the ground a lot will cause some wear/leakage around the heavier gridstop threads. Roger Caffin has some picks of Xgrids and some long term use and an overall evaluation of gridstop…I am sure he will chime in with more.

Yes, the Gridstop version will pick up a bit more water. Yes, I think you are overthinking this, but fabric, even the laminated DCF/cuban fabrics, have a greater affinity for water than a pure film, like unlaminated DCF. Especially with nylon, it can absorb as much as 10% weight in untreated fabrics, not counting interstitial capillary action. Poly is better, but is about 30-50% weaker, meaning it is heavier for the same strength, with more interstitial water holding ability (meaning it holds water, even if it doesn’t absorb it directly.) Woven fabrics like hybrids, and Gridstop, have a rougher surface. After a bit of use, maybe 500mi, you will notice some spots that will seem to get wet, even though the material is hydrophobic. Not a big deal, really. Most water weight gain is around the seams and bottom, where it gets worn a bit faster. Even 100% film based DCF can be worn enough to “absorb” water, soo…you can safely ignore water weight, providing it is not leaking through,  generally speaking.

As far as durability, unlaminated DCF/Cuben is about the worst for abrasion (very important in packs.) Laminated, heavy poly coverings are much better. Poly gridstops are good. Nylon, grid stop is excellent for the same weight of fabric. Nylon, ballistic being about the best, but very heavy. (Kevlar, is poorer in abrasion resistance and is difficult to form into fine fabrics, anyway.)

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

No question, the gridstop Haul is the way to go, especially if you want longevity.

-The DCF starts to shred at the top around 1K. Seen it over and over. I’ve owned two.

-The Haul is rated to carry 40 lbs rather than 35 lbs. The larger size and comfort may come in handy some day. My current Blast weighs 22oz because I augmented the shoulders and waist to carry more weight. There goes the weight argument.

-Over the years I have learned to not trust any pack for water. I use internal plastic AND a pack cover.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Thanks everyone for your good points. I agree now that the difference in water retention, although present, are not enough to be a real concern. I also did some research and noticed that they improved the frame system a few years back, so hopefully the issue with the support popping out has been fixed. I tend not to fling backpacks around my back anyway. As far as the 3 ounces goes, I just ran a spreadsheet for my base weight with my gear as a whole and even using the Haul I am under 9 pounds. This is light enough for me…I dropped almost 3 pounds just changing backpack and tent.

Also, good info on the abrasion wear of Grid Stop. I hike alot in joshua tree, where the rocks are like sand paper and the ground is gravel, and this is probably not good for either fabric. I think I will keep my ground sheet handy and just lay the bag on that.

Anyhow thanks again. I guess the Haul it is. Now to figure out the color lol.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I have a Gridstop Haul, though only have about 300km on it. I wouldn’t want a DCF version. The trampoline frame tension puts a lot of stress on the fabrics. And the weight penalty isn’t that great relatively.

Having said that I’m thinking of getting a KS Ultralight pack and selling off my Haul. The trampoline function doesn’t really do it for me. I’d rather have a bigger lumbar pad and better hipbelt instead, likely at less weight and with more fabric options.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have a black Arc Haul purchased in June 2015 (with the original flat carbon bar suspension) which I love and it looks practically brand new…the trampoline back works very well for me.  I did add the optional belt pad and would recommend that.  I do not hike in the desert and do take care of my gear.  *IF* it fits you well (true for any pack) you will love it.  As for color, pics Bob Moulder (I really miss his presence on this forum) posted of his green Arc Haul might cause me to choose that should I need a replacement :)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

The DCF fabric seems really durable to me. I have a little bag from Z-packs made of the same fabric that I use to carry my phone around every day. Not that this is heavy-duty use, but it shows no sign of wear. I have an Arc blast with the same fabric and on my last trip it rained half of the days. I did not notice any kind of issue with it getting wet. It never felt waterlogged or heavy, nothing got wet. The trail was pretty brushy and there was no problem with that. I also have some hip belt pockets made of the same fabric. I have had them for a few years and used them more attached to the sides of my pack than the hip. One of them does show signs of wear. It has a hole in it. Looks like something punctured it. It could have been punctured by the homemade plastic think I would cram in there.

Other packs with other fabric that I have owned included one made of silnylon. It got holes in it from who knows what, and it would did feel wet and waterlogged when it got wet. My boyfriend and I have a Rik Sack that is made of some kind of very nice coated nylon and it seems pretty durable. We use it every weekend to walk to coffee with our newspapers. Previous incarnations of the Rik Sack made of other fabrics shredded after a while. This one has held up really well.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

My wife has over 2,000 miles on her cuben hybrid Arc Blast. It’s the old style, pre the adjustable back length, and the material on the shoulder straps has started to fray on the edges and has had to be given a layer of seam seal to hold it together. On the current Blast and Haul, this area is now mesh.

Apart from that, it is holding up well. The cuben at the top is not shredding, perhaps because she uses a lid and pockets for storage of items needed during the day so it generally only gets opened and closed at the beginning and end of the day.

She’s not especially careful with it, but we don’t do a lot of bushwacking or dragging packs along abrasive rocks.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

ZPacks indicates that the Gridstop is somewhat more abrasion resistant than the Laminated DCF.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’m a fan of the good old fashioned 210d Dyneema Grid fabric, but it may depend on your uses.  The DCF will be more waterproof (I dare call any pack, especially after its used waterproof – but highly water resistant) but with a 50d polyester face fabric, which is what I think Z-Packs uses, it will not be near as abrasion resistant.

The DCF might have an advantage if you hike in rainy environments, on trail, and are easy on your gear.  If you go off trail, go or don’t want to have to baby your pack, go with Dyneema Grid.  Of course I think the Z-Packs frame might not last 4K miles.  It’s sort of a complex and fragile frame compared to most on the market.  I had issues with mine that had 1K miles on it and changed to a SWD Long Haul 50.  I will say that I had load lifters and someone mentioned above that that causes the stays to pop out, which mine kept doing – it got really annoying.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I also have some hip belt pockets made of the same fabric. I have had them for a few years and used them more attached to the sides of my pack than the hip. One of them does show signs of wear. It has a hole in it.

My hip pocket holes are usually caused by rodents trying to get at my power bars while I am not looking.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools