Topic

Zipperless net tent door with rare-earth magnet closure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Zipperless net tent door with rare-earth magnet closure

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Thanks, Roger.  There is a lot of Tulle on ebay, but no indication of stiffness or weights.  That’s why I was looking in the shops where attendants can be helpful.  Bought some samples that turned out to be quite heavy, though.  Will press on.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Contact vendor and ask.
    Cheers

Mike K
    Spectator

@ke6cvh

Folks,  My comments on rare earth magnets.  I have experience with them regarding their use in axial flux alternators (i.e. diy wind turbines).  A small magnet will not have enough force to crush itself in any way….yes stacks of rare earth Neodymnium can crush fingers but that magnetic force is cumulative.  Rare earth magnets have protective coatings on them.  If scratched it opens them up to corrosion which can destroy the magnet.  Might be okay if protected inside a sewn closure but moisture would be a personal concern.  When used in DIY axial flux generators they are bedded with epoxy.  The thickness of the material could be overcome with the magnet being stronger but then more weight.  I think it could work but the question becomes how strong does the closure need to be which affects the weight of the magnet.  Best regards, Mike

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools