Topic

Zion Permitting Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Zion Permitting Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Howdy good folks,

I nabbed a one night reservation for a West Rim campsite (#8) as part of speed hike through Zion on Monday, March 30.  The canned online permit process only allows you to select fixed itineraries. I had to select starting at Lava Point and finishing at The Grotto.  But I want to start at Lee Pass and finish at The Grotto (trans-Zion).

Anyone have experience with changing the trailhead start in person?

Due to winter hours and budget cuts, it’s impossible to speak to anyone in person in the park right now; none of the phones in the permitting office are staffed.  I’m not expecting a fast email response either…

I’ll sort it one way or another…just curious.

Thanks!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

NM.  Email response speed exceeded my expectations!

FWIW starting trailhead can be changed in person.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Have fun Craig!  I did the Trans Zion Trek years ago and loved it but this was not done as a speed hike.  Going back later April.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thanks David.

We had a small group from BPL go do the Trans Zion as a day run a few years back.  I joined them but went canyoneering all day instead; still want to get out and do it though.

Looks like my timing is such that the speed hike probably won’t work; there’s likely too much snow from Lee Pass to Lava Point when I’ll be there.  Looking like I’ll do a much shorter and leisurely version from Lava Point to The Grotto with my wife instead.

Crowds, permitting, and all of that nonsense aside, Zion is just amazing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools