Topic

Zion 3 day in August

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Zion 3 day in August

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JUSTIN T
    BPL Member

@jtaylor3223

I’m looking at doing a 3 day 2 night backpacking trip in Zion August 10th to 12th. Considering the following:

• Day 1:  Start at Lava Point to Site #2
    • Day 2:  Site #2 down West Rim to Grotto for lunch. Then up the East Rim/Observation Point trail for disbursed camping on night #2.  Not sure exactly where to stay on the east rim??
    • Day 3:  hike to cable mountain and then out to the Ponderosa Resort Trail head.

Does this sound like a pretty good itinerary?  I know going up the east rim trail on day 2 will make for a pretty grueling hike but I’m hoping it’s doable because we don’t want to stay down in the valley if possible.  Not seeing much water on the east rim, do we need to pack all of our own water that leg of the trip?

Never been to Zion so I appreciate any and all feedback.  Thanks!

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

You do realize how hot Zion gets in the summer.  Hiking in temperatures over 100F is very likely.  I have done all my hiking there in the spring or fall and avoid summer at all costs.  Just driving through one Memorial Weekend,coming back from Bryce Canyon which is higher elevation and thus cooler, it was 105F in the main canyon where the lodge is.

When I hiked a 4day traverse across Zion (West to East) one late November, on my second day, I hiked up to Lava Point and camped at site #4.  The next day I did what you want to do on Day 3.  I camped maybe 1/2 mile from the trail jct after turning up towards Cable Mtn.  Basically stopped at a flat but grassy spot and set up near the trail.  No need for stressing out about a campsite there as I saw plenty of flat ground I could have used with nicer spots the further up you went from the trail jct.  I carried all my water up the east rim for the first day with enough to hike out while rationing it if necessary.  There is a spring further down the trail as you hike out towards the trailhead at the east entrance.  Talk to the rangers to verify if it’s flowing given the heat you’ll have and the real danger of heat exhaustion.  You may need to carry about twice as much as I did given how much you’ll be sweating out.

JUSTIN T
    BPL Member

@jtaylor3223

The heat and lack of water is a definite concern I had.  We planned this backpacking trip around a weeklong family vacation so we are locked into going in August. Would it be more enjoyable if we backpacked in Bryce this time of year?  I’m open to suggestions.  We are flying into Vegas and staying right next Zion so we could change our backpacking trip to Bryce pretty easily.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Not trips done in August but you might like reading the trip report and gear lists from BPL member Steve Evans 2 trips to Zion TRANS-ZION TRAVERSE, MAY 2010 (4 DAYS) and ZION NARROWS TOP DOWN HIKE, MAY 2014 (2 DAYS) .

Lee W
    BPL Member

@ltw

Locale: Mojave Desert

Will be brutally hot as others have mentioned. May not be family friendly. I’d recommend finding a higher or wetter area. Going up to Bryce or up higher in the Fish Lake NF will definitely offer some better temps. If you’re set on this area, here’s a little advice…

Day 2 isn’t a big day as far as mileage, but you will be climbing up to Observation Point in the sun during the hottest part of the day. Also, there’s no water on the way up, so you’ll possibly be carrying a couple day’s worth. Fill up before you leave the bottom of the main canyon.

On night 2, there is no legal camping immediately around Observation Point. You have to get about half way from Observation Point to the park boundary. It’s completely dry up there too. Camping up there is kind of second rate in my opinion. I’d recommend going straight up to Cable Mountain and Deertrap Mountain.

Hiking from Observation Point area to Cable Mountain and then out on day 3 is a pretty big day in the heat. There is usually pothole water available just above where the trail crosses Echo Canyon (about 10 minutes after the trail split). If it hasn’t rained recently, it gets pretty funky and possibly dries up. There may be water in the Stave Spring area or the drainage west of there, right next to the trail. There’s good water here in the spring and early summer. Haven’t been there in August though. Other than those sources, it will likely be completely dry once you pass Echo Canyon. This area is wide open so you’ll be exposed to the sun all day. I’d recommend taking an umbrella.

If you’re dropping a vehicle on the Ponderosa, I’d recommend stashing some water at both of the Ponderosa trailheads. It would be a little out of the way on days 2 and 3, but would save some heavy water carries.

Enjoy.

JUSTIN T
    BPL Member

@jtaylor3223

Lee – thanks for the info!!  I’m thinking we might switch it up and go to Bryce or North Rim Grand Canyon since they are a bit higher in elevation.  Any recommendations on a 3 day 2 night trip in either of those parks that might not be as hot and have easier access to water?

We are also considering trying to get a permit for the Narrows to avoid the sun and have plenty of water.

I appreciate any info you can provide!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

If you do the Narrows, don’t miss going up Ordervillr canyon, about a mile from the bottom end of the Narrows.

Lee W
    BPL Member

@ltw

Locale: Mojave Desert

Narrows are a pretty good choice. Another option would be a day trip down Orderville from the top which intersects the Narrows. Both require permits that can be difficult to get, so it’s good to have options.

North Rim is good that time of year, but more for sight seeing and day hiking. Going down into the canyon will be like going into a furnace. People do it, but not my cup of tea. You can put something together in the NF just north of the GC. Not too familiar with that area, so no good advice.

You may want to take a look at Death Hollow, just outside Escalante. Starts at about 9000′. As it drops, you get into some water with a fair bit of wading and swimming. If you’re moving at a reasonable pace, 3 days is doable.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools