Topic

Your Favorite Flashlight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your Favorite Flashlight

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Locale: Pacific North West

Arguably, if weight were my only concern at all I’d simply exercise the discipline of being bedded down before the sun sets. But it’s not, and even if this were my focus I’d likely still need light along the way.

That’s why I’m asking, “What is your favorite flashlight and how much does it weigh?”

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I haven’t touched my headlamp for the past few hikes and find myself using the light on my iPhone almost exclusively.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I LOVE my ZebraLight H51 with a DIY headband. Throw in a single AA Lithium battery and I am at 1.99 oz. Has 6 different light settings (7 if you count the strobe) and IMO the single battery makes it the easiest to swap out if need be in the dark, although, with lithium AA batteries I have never had to do so… it last a long time. I love all the settings, from a moon light setting to a wow that way too bright setting. It is comfortable to hold in hand, and of course it works great as a headlight too. It also came with a clip if you wanted to strap it at chest level. Hard anodized aluminum body which is waterproof down to farther than I would ever take it and the current is regulated. I bought this a few years ago, use it on every trip, and other times at home, and have never felt the desire to try another… I love it!

However, the H51 is now discontinued. I believe the H52 has taken it’s place…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m extremely happy with my current flashlight setup.

My primary light is a Nightcore Tube. I have it on a short lanyard of 1/16″ shock cord which I use to larkshead around a belt loop or trekking pole around camp. The lamp is bright enough for my needs around camp, very light and I can charge it up via USB before each trip. One charge lasted 22 nights on the JMT last summer…

My backup is a much more powerful Titanium Maratac AAA Flashlight which takes a single lithium AAA battery and has a reversible clip so I can clip it onto the visor of my hat. I’ve found this totally adequate for hands-free night-hiking in the Grand Canyon.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Black Diamond Ion (2016 revised version). Very happy with this small framed 2 AAA powered headlamp. Liking it more and more. Last trip I tried sleeping in my quilt with it around my neck at night and found no issues with that. It beat searching around for it during the night for late night shelter exits . At 54 g its not the lightest option but for a full featured waterproof rated light its sweet. I don’t have need for redundant gear as the wife has her own.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I have a ThruNite TH10 (CW) headlamp which uses 18650 and is ~6 oz.  I looked at Zebralights, but this one was cheaper on Amazon prime.  I take this when I think I might be hiking in the dark.

For purely backup I like the O-Light S1 Baton, which runs about 3.1 oz and runs on CR123 batteries (half the size of the 18650).  It has a long clip that can be reversed, so you can clip it on the brim of a hat for hands free (hiking, cooking, etc)

I used to try to consolidate all my electronics on one type of battery to minimize spares, but the rechargeable 18650 and CR123 batteries last forever in these lights as I’m usually using it on a pretty dim setting.  Also most of my other electronics (InReach, iPhone) are also rechargable with built in batteries.

Those ZebraLights are really nice, and it looks like they have some of the 18650s on sale right now, which would only add ~1oz to the AA version Chad mentioned.  Shame on you both for making me buy a new flashlight!

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

I’m a happy user of the Petzl e-Lite.headtorch at 27 grams all-in. It uses 2 lithium CR2032 batteries at 6 grams a pair.

One set of batteries gives 50 hours of floody wide-angle on the high 26 lumen setting, and 70 hours on the low 6 lumen setting. It also offers a red light and a strobe.

I find the low setting perfectly usable for reading and camp chores, and even for walking on easy ground. On tricker ground I would use the higher setting. I find it quite enough for walking on trail, and even for rough ground off-trail if there are no particular navigation issues. If I have to look ahead at times to pick a route, I’ll carry a more powerful lightweight hand-torch as well. Though I should say that I seem to have good night vision, and positively prefer a gentler light that I can see beyond rather than walking in a dazzling pool of light. Even if you find it too dim for walking, it’s a very light backup.

Waterproofing is rated at IP 67 and it’s survived the odd monsoon OK. I’ve had it for some years now and it’s been reliable so far.

I rather doubt that you can do better for the weight.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Olight i3S EOS. Tiny and feather-light but still plenty bright. Come with a reversible clip, so instead of a headband I just clip it to the bill of my hat, no headlamp needed. Weighs only 0.4 oz with the hat clip and after removing the small keychain that comes attached to it. Uses a single AAA battery, with a lithium the total weight is only 0.7 oz. Three brightness levels (max=80 lumens) and a strobe, but no red light. I feel the quality compares to a ZebraLight or Fenix (comes with a 5 year warranty) but for a considerably lower price (I paid about $19 off Amazon).

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I have a Zebralight H51 and H52w which are very similar, and these are probably the best all around headlamps. They are high quality, regulated, use a single battery rather a more complex setup of multiple AAA’s etc.I like the 52w with the neutral white a lot better than the brighter cool white. Most headlamps use a bunch of AAA’s instead of one AA because the electronics are cheaper, but it adds weight and complexity and makes the batteries harder to change in the dark.

I do find the Zebralights a bit overkill for a lot of trips though. From March – Sept when I’m not night hiking I don’t need that much power. I asked Zebralight to build a 1 x AAA headlamp but they aren’t interested. So I recently picked up a Fenix Light HL10, which is a 1 x AAA light. The quality isn’t as good as Zebralight but it’s a lot lighter (48g with battery vs. 90g with battery for H52).

One could argue the e+Lite is actually all you need for summer hiking. I have one too and I’ve generally been happy with that, but don’t like purchasing the disposable batteries.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Zebralight H51 and H52.  Sometimes, I’ve really valued the “route-finding” highest level.  Typically, I only need it for a few seconds to get oriented or assess which way the trail goes (or when where the trail isn’t on the Aleutian Islands) then I’m using medium and low levels.

For UL trips or sub-freezing use, I use a lithium battery.  Most all of the time, therefore.  In summer up here, it’s warm but it doesn’t get dark.

I keep the bottom cap unscrewed by 1/4 turn so it can’t be turned on accidentally in my pack.  It seems plenty waterproof and secure in that position. I tighten the cap that 1/4 turn before using it.

I don’t bring their headband nor a DIY one.  I have the little metal clip on it and secure it to my hat for digging around in my pack.  For hiking on a trail, I’ve long preferred the light to be in my hand or clipped to my belt so I can see the dips and bumps in the trail.

I’ve got some smaller, lighter options, but they aren’t as capable.  If I only needed to root around in my pack or read a book in the dark, then maybe I’d bring those.  But back in the days in crappy bulbs and short battery life, I’ve been left in the dark and I want my light to be more reliable and longer-lived than that.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Dan, ( “build a 1 x AAA headlamp” )

I got a Lumintop Ti AAA 3-level flashlight off of MassDrop for $37.95  Seems very solid.  21 grams empty.  32 grams with a alkaline battery.  28 grams with a lithium. Seemingly very similar to that Maratac AAA that Matthew posted a photo of, above.  Also straight, not a right-angle light.  The right angle Z51 / Z52 is really nice for hanging on a waistband.  The straight is better on a hat bill and at half the weight (of the AA Zebralight Z52 with a lithium in it), that is more viable.

“headlamp”: if you aren’t using a billed hat that would accommodate the clip, you can sew two elastic loops on one side of a hat and easily slip in a straight flashlight like this one.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Now that it’s been mentioned a couple of times I have to recommend that the e+Light users carry another light source for when the switch jams. I have had it jam permanently in the off position due to a piece of sand in a pocket of my vest. When I got back from my trip I found quite a few people with similar experiences online. I returned the headlamp (I had used it for maybe 30 minutes total) to REI where the customer service person commented that they get quite of few returns due to jammed switches.

It’s a pity, the light is fantastic otherwise. If they ever update the switch I will carry one one all trips.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

Zebralight H52w, for the same reasons David Thomas already listed.

I may use its “high” mode for less than 20 seconds per trip, but when I need it, I really need it. And it turns out I do, once or twice per trip.

I view my light just as I do my first aid kit: weighs more than zero grams, but is a necessity, and the capability to use it for walking as needed has to be there, no matter the extra weight. Decades of hiking have taught me this.

I consider the reasoning some posters profess that “If I have to look ahead at times to pick a route, I’ll carry a more powerful light” as flawed. One never knows what one is about to encounter on a multi-day trip. In my book, an extra ounce saved on the light is not worth it.

Mine weighs 1.95 oz with a 14650 battery (no band, just clip).

The back up is a little Photon red thingy, attached to my little firestarter in the pocket, always with me when I’m not fully naked.

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

“Now that it’s been mentioned a couple of times I have to recommend that the e+Light users carry another light source for when the switch jams.”

I stopped using my e+lite (older model with the strap/whistle) when the switch started having issues.  The switch was making intermittent contact, so the light would flash on and off.  Sometimes I would have to rock the switch back and forth to get it to turn on.  I still have it, and am considering getting one of the newer ones.  But I am pretty happy with my Lumintop Tool and my Zebralight H51.

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

“I got a Lumintop Ti AAA 3-level flashlight off of MassDrop for $37.95  Seems very solid.  21 grams empty.  32 grams with a alkaline battery.  28 grams with a lithium.”

+1

I’m a fan of Lumintop’s lights.  I have the Tool (black aluminum model) and it does very nicely for me.  The clip can be reversed to sit on your hat brim.  The clicky switch makes it easy to turn on/off/change modes.  A quarter turn on the light emitting end of it makes it safe to stow in my pack without inadvertently turning on.  It weighs in a little lighter than the David’s Ti version at 15g empty and 23g with a lithium aaa.  But I might consider getting the ti version because of the recessed clicker, better ability for it to sit on a keychain, and nicer feel of Ti compared with the rather jagged knurling on the aluminum version.

With a lithium, it is supposed to be a bit brighter and longer lasting than with alkaline.  The alkaline specs are 110 lumens/0.5 hours, 32 lumens/10 hours, 5 lumens/60 hours, no flashing mode.  5 lumens is plenty for most camp chores.  32 works for night hiking.  110 is super bright, but makes the light get very hot if left on for more than a couple minutes.

The aluminum Tool runs for ~$20 on Amazon.  The Ti version runs for ~$70 on Amazon.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

H52 AA tops out at 300 Lm (0.9 hrs) for 2.0 oz, whereas H600w provides 1200 Lm (2 hrs) or 330 Lm (3.9 hrs) for only 3.0 oz.  Why don’t the H52 fans take the logical step up to the larger 18650 battery?

I do get that AA batteries are easier to find (so understood for a thru hiker), but the extra capacity of the 18650 seems like I’m a lot less likely to need to replace it during a short/medium trip.

That sale price on the H600w had me sold, but it’s out of stock.  the cool white is available, but I prefer neutral.  That has me also looking at the H32w which uses a CR123, with 446 Lm (1.4 hr) and only 1.7 oz.  The battery may be harder to find at a gas station, but available at most stores.  I haven’t done the research to see how the rechargeables compare to 18650s.

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

For hiking my favourite torch is my H600w

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

ZebraLight H600W II, 18650’s are great!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

It arrived this week and I just realized the Lumintop Tool is a better travel light for me than the more capable Zebralight Z51.  I fly about 80,000 miles a year and I travel with a light because:

• I try to hike / walk around wherever I am.  On a trail if I can or on city streets if I can’t.
    • I’ve used it to search for the stuff I or the kids have dropped under the airline seat or hotel bed.
    • I like knowing I could illuminate my own way out of lodging in the event of a power failure or fire.
    • My noise-cancelling headphones are also AAA so I’d rather have a AAA flashlight than an AA one.
    • Sometimes TSA has pulled me aside so they can fondle my Z51.  I suspect the smaller AAA flashlight won’t bother them as much.
    • OTOH, the “neuralizer” (Men in Black reference) light level on the Z51 has more defensive uses than the 110 lumen mode on the Tool.
    Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Why don’t the H52 fans take the logical step up to the larger 18650 battery?

Not answering for everyone here, but for me, I did not want a headlamp with such a proprietary battery. With the H51 (or the H52’s now available) I can use AA, whether that is alkaline, lithiums (my choice) or rechargeable’s. I initially bought some Eneloops, however, decided to go with the Lithiums because they are lighter, last longer, and perform better in the cold. Also, if need be, finding an AA battery would be much easier than finding an 18650 battery, heck, good chance someone else would even have an AA to loan me while on the trail. So the 18650 battery was the illogical choice for me.

I have never had to change a battery out in my H51 while in the field. Granted most of my hikes are only 3 days, with my longest being 7 days, so there is that. However, I rarely leave out with a brand new battery, and it works great, for a long time. I will use the same battery while out hiking (at camp and sometimes early morning or early evening hiking) as well as around the house. Trust me, the lithium batteries last a long time…

As for brightness, the H51 is only 200 lumens on it’s highest setting, but wow, that is bright. I have used it to throw a bear line on some dark nights, and it could have been turned on the lower high setting (100 lumens) and still been fine. While hiking one of the medium levels is all I need, and sometimes have even used the high low setting. Then of course the lowest setting is great for reading, or getting organized inside the tent.

And I mentioned weight above, but for my H51, with a lithium battery and my DIY headband (can be seen in my avatar to the left  <——) mine comes in at 1.99 oz! That’s a lot of light for such a little bit of weight!

And I completely agree about going with the neutral vs the cool white light… It’s the only thing about my Zebralight that is not perfect… but I love it so much I will wait until I have to swap it for another. They make some great lights, so that may be a while… lol

Edit to add: I used to use a e+Lite, but after having to hike out unexpectedly in the middle of a dark night, I found that the e+Lite was really a poor option. I ended up using a little keychain light that was much better… After that I sold the e+Lite!

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

I use a zebalight H600Fd. Tons of of light everywehere when needed and plenty of brightness options. It’s heavier than other options since it uses 18650 batteries but I like having a long run time.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

My conclusion when looking at the Zebralight options was to go with an H32 for shorter trips or when extensive night hiking is unlikely, and I actually just received mine today after ordering it six weeks ago. The heavier H600 series seems to make sense for longer trips, more night stuff, or if one has a 18650 charging strategy. So what is the preference for the H52s? They have an almost identical weight as the H52s, but they run 30% longer, and can achieve a max illumination of 446 lumens vs the max of the H52 of 280 lumens. Is it just battery preference? Am I missing something?

EDIT: I may have just answered my own question; I see that the run times listed for the H32 are for CR123 lithiums, while the run times for the H52 are measured using the AA 2000 mAh rechargeable Eneloops, which are less capable than a lithium. Replace the Eneloop with a lithium and the power advantage of the CR123 driven light appears to be only 15%. A difference, but not so significant.

Discussion of difference between AA and CR123:

http://everydaycarry.com/posts/6921/cr123a-vs-aa-choosing-the-right-battery-for-your-edc-flashlight

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Been using a AA Fenix HL21 since 2013. The newest version is HL23.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Are the chargers integrated on the zebralights. With my reliance on the phone for so much, replacing camera, gps and so on I’m taking the 6.2 oz anker 10k battery along with me. The latest gen of flashlights seem to have built in micro USB ports to charge, which seems to deal with the issue of running out of power.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

No, the Zebralights don’t have an integrated charger. I suspect that’s a good decision, as it’s a potential point of failure and would compromise the design. The engineering on the Zebralights is a thing to behold – which is probably why my last one got nicked in a hut in Italy,

The best way I’ve found to keep an 18650 running in the field is the Xtar Ant-MC1 Plus charger. Runs off a micro-USB and weighs 28 grams, for around nine of your US dollars. Seems to be well reviewed by the testers.

By the way, be wary of buying no-name chargers off eBay – as Samsung discovered recently, things can get nasty when charging goes wrong. When you read the reviews you discover that there’s more to charging these high-capacity batteries than meets the eye. Best stick to reputable brands.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools