Topic

Your favorite day hikes around Harper's Ferry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Your favorite day hikes around Harper's Ferry

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

We will be spending a couple of days in the Appalacians next month.  The present plan is to leave DC in the morning, check out the great waterfalls, then head to Harper’s Ferry and maybe go tubing on the river there.  After spending the night in the area, we plan to go to Shenandoah NP for the day and then back to DC.  Looking for recommended day hike(s?) in the area, not too crazy long, say 10 miles round trip or less.  Two shorter hikes would be fine also.

thanks, Matt

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Leaving in a couple of days and still looking for a recommendation  . . .

thanks, Matt

Mercedes Clemens
    BPL Member

@motorlegs

It’s been a long time since I’ve hiked in that area, but I’d suggest hikes that take you up high — there are wonderful views and you’ll catch a nice breeze (especially welcome if the heat/humidity is up).

Here’s one that’s 8.5 miles and is supposed to be less crowded:

http://www.hikingupward.com/OWVH/HarpersFerryLoudounHeights/

If it’s hot, definitely get some tubing in! Enjoy — it’s a beautiful area with lots of history. :-)

Summer weekends tend to be very busy in Harpers Ferry, during the week it’s much more manageable.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Thanks for the recommendation Mercedes.  We are planning on tubing for sure, my wife is all over that one..  After reading about the area more I am suggesting to her we skip Shenandoah and just spend time at Harper’s Ferry.   But if you or others have “don’t miss” hike near Shenandoah, we are flexible.

many thanks, Matt

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Maryland Heights is pretty awesome as well. You get to cross the old railroad bridge, too!

https://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/upload/Md-Hts2011-2.pdf

And Weaverton Cliffs (on the AT) has some beautiful views as well. As I assume you know, Harpers Ferry has a lot to offer for the history buff. I recommend spending time at its historic sites. And Shepardstown in WV is very cool little town & not too far away. Close to Antietam National Battlefield.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

When I was looking at the area last night Maryland Heights caught my attention first.  I think the other hike I was looking at was to Weaverton Cliffs, but that looked like a pretty long day hike there and back from Harpers Ferry.  Thanks for the recommendaton!!  The other spots look nice also, so much to see and so little time.

Matt

Mercedes Clemens
    BPL Member

@motorlegs

+1 for Shepherdstown WV & Antietam. I’d recommend the Rathskellar at the Bavarian Inn for eating in/near Shepherdstown (it’s their casual restaurant).

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Nice!  A restaurant recommendation also, many thanks!!  Have to check out Antietam as well.  May not have time for tubing, to many other cool things to see!

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Well even though we spent the night in Harper’s Ferry we did not get  to do as much as I had hoped.  We did get to go tubing which was fun, and hiked Maryland Heights which was more difficult than I imagined it would be.  Not used to hiking on all those rocks or without switchbacks I guess.  Beautiful views, especially from the overlook spot.  We had hoped to go up to Antietam National Battlefield but my son temporarily lost his phone and we ran out of time.

And we can claim we section hike the AT in WV north of the Shenandoah River.  Both miles of it.  ;-)

Thanks for the recommendations, it was a fun time in the area

Mercedes Clemens
    BPL Member

@motorlegs

Glad you had a fun time, Matt — sounds like you made the most with the time you had available. :-)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools