Topic

your Canada greatest hits?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning your Canada greatest hits?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Hey gang,

Trying to put a trip together, combo of cool big city and outdoor backpacking. Never been to Canada.

I maaaay rent a car if needed, would rather not.

Curious what outdoor/trails/parks you all have done?

Trip lenght 7-10 days

Thank you

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

Any particular area of Canada you are looking at?

For Ontario consider Killarney, Algonquin, superior or pukaskwa parks as they each have at least one long trail available which would fit what you are looking for

in BC a few to consider are west coast trail, north coast trail and Sunshine Coast trails

Kevin Caron
    BPL Member

@asterias

Locale: quebec

all in province of Quebec

mont groulx….

chic choc in gaspesie

Pretty much what you are looking for =)

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

I’ve only stopped at Head-Smashed-In Bison Kill and in Yoho for the fossil hikes. Touristy but REALLY beautiful. Can’t top the politeness of the locals. You’ll need a car.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Jasper and the icefield parkway were awesome. I’ve focused more on the he packrafting opportunities but I’m sure the hiking is great.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

thank you!

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

Ya gotta look at the West Coast trail. Fantastic! (it’s only 5-6 days tho)

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

WHEN are you going?  Key info for mosquito/blackfly season, which can totally change what I would recommend!

For big cities, Vancouver has the physical beauty with mountains flowing down to the sea, stunning inlets, and a popular hike up Grouse Mountain that you can get to by public transit.  Toronto is a first-class, clean, diverse city with many different neighbourhoods, and lots to do.  Montreal (my home city) is kinda funky, super-cosmopolitan, culturally interesting, and sort of “a beautiful mess”!  It’s also known for its cuisine.  I miss it terribly.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Im going in July. :)

West Coast Trail suggested here looks pretty awesome.

Any awesome trails in the Montreal side of the country?

I was also looking into bike touring, looked at Route Verte and Cabot Trail….

Justin Lafrance
    BPL Member

@argon

Locale: Canadian Rockies

For cycle touring and hiking in the same place, the Icefield Parkway is great. You can cycle from Banff to Jasper in 4-5 days and there are endless hiking opportunities (both day hikes and backpacking trips).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve backpacked in Jasper.  I forget just where but it was memorable.  Not so many people.  And icefield parkway.  That is one huge glacier.

Banff is good too.  Might be easier to get to by public transport.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I remember – Skyline Trail from Maligne trailhead

I noticed a shuttle from the town of Jasper

http://www.where.ca/vendors/canadian-rockies-jasper-hinton/sightseeing-tours-attractions-tours/maligne-lake-shuttle-43/

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

We really enjoyed the Chilkoot Trail from Skagway AK into Canada. Very varied terrain and eco-systems. A historic rather than wilderness trail, but nature has reclaimed a lot in 118 years. We took the Yukon and White Pass Railroad back for a 4-day trip. I suspect you could continue east towards Whitehorse for a longer trip.

Early reservations or going in the shoulder season are required. Call the Parks Canada info number. They were super helpful.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

In July, the bug (mosquitoes, blackflies) will still be bad (unless it’s a very dry year); plan accordingly.

Any awesome trails in the Montreal side of the country?  For serious hiking, not really; most Montrealers travel to the Adirondacks, the Green Mountains of VT, or the NH Whites for their hikes.  Lots of fabulous cross-country skiing near Montreal, but NOT in July, LOL!

“I was also looking into bike touring, looked at Route Verte and Cabot Trail….”  Either would be good, but I’ve heard more “ooohs and ahhhhs” about the Cabot Trail.  People just fall completely in love with it!

That said, Banff and Jasper are stunning!  The Rockies — what more can I say?

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Well I was set on West Coast trail but not permits. Was hoping to find another no brainer awesome trail in Canada. Seems Banff, Jasper are the next option but lord, now I have to think and plan and build an itinerary :P

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

Then take a look at the north coast trail also on Vancouver island. They say it is what the west coast trail was 30 years ago before it was completely developed and became popular

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You could try contacting member Steven Evan’s through his website or PM him, he is from Canada and has an Adventure page of some of his trips including videos and gear lists.Here is what he says about doing the North Coast Trail last year

Located on the northern tip of Vancouver Island, this epic trail entails complete solitude and wildlife sightings along its remote coastal journey. Recommended for only experienced hikers, I was able to blaze through this adventure in ultralight style in 3 days. A must do for the avid backcountry explorer!

Gary D
    BPL Member

@doc

If you are interested in making the Rockies your destination there is one option I would suggest. It likely will not require a car. You could fly into Calgary. There is a shuttle service that operates along the Icefields Parkway. Last time I checked they did not have an updated schedule for summer travel.

http://www.sundogtours.com/jasper-lake-louise-banff-calgary-transportation/

After leaving Calgary you could take the shuttle NB along the parkway. Approximately half way between Jasper and Banff there is a small resort area called The Crossing. Getting off the bus here would leave you about 4 miles of road hiking to access an unmarked trailhead. From this trailhead you can begin a NB hike of approximately 120 miles that will end just south of Jasper townsite. The first 35 miles is in a Provincial wilderness area and no permits are required. The remaining distance is in Jasper and Banff National parks where permits are required. This route/trail is part of the Great Divide Trail. There are a few sources of information available. There is a guidebook (now out of print I believe) entitled Hiking Canada’s Great Divide Trail that provides a trail description.

http://www.greatdividetrail.com/discover-the-gdt/

http://www.walkingwithwired.com/2015/08/day-28-chillin-at-crossin.html The route is described in days 28-35 of her Great Divide Hike.

. From there you can hike or hitch a ride into Jasper , catch the shuttle and return to Calgary for your flight home.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools