Topic

You have three months – where would you go for hiking/kayaking this Nov-Jan?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities You have three months – where would you go for hiking/kayaking this Nov-Jan?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    M. C
    BPL Member

@bluemtns

Currently a digital nomad in Colorado Springs, hiking in the mtns, just started a new adventure year on the move. My son and I did this 12 years ago in a RV but now I have two dogs and two kitties so we stay in Airbnb. I am looking for somewhere in the US from November-Jan/Feb that will let me continue to be active (no winter sports) hiking, kayaking, swimming, etc… We just left Austin so no desire to go back to Texas (love Austin, just do not want to go back).

Come spring I am probably heading to Arizona for hiking in the Grand Canyon.

Where would you go to stay active, without snow, and close enough to a good internet to keep working – the Carolinas, Florida, southern Utah, etc…? If there was a lake, inlet or somewhere close by for flat-water paddling, that would be ideal. Thanks for any suggestions!

PS Avoiding California due to the cost – I grew up there but the COL is nuts.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

100% Utah (southern half). Soo much hiking through eye-wateringly beautiful landscapes. Some lake and river paddling, but I don’t immediately think of Utah for water sports. Pick some little village in the boonies for low COL.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Much of Southern Utah will be cold in those months.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Maybe southern Arizona… some hiking there and warmer…

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

If I had three months in that portion of the year, I would be all over some winter hiking in the Cascades and/or Rockies, or maybe the Whites up in New Hampshire…but that isn’t what you’re looking for.  So…

Definitely NOT the Carolinas; flatwater paddling on the sounds and decent hiking in the mountains are 5.5 hours apart by the shortest route, and the mountains do get some light snow in winter.  Internet/phone service in the hills can be a little sketchy unless you’re in Asheville or another place of decent size; same for certain areas inshore of the banks.  If you want to skip the cool weather, go further south.  Maybe check the Gulf Coast for your paddling, and then head north into the mountains when you want a hike?

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

+1 to southern Utah being cold that time of year. Have you considered Hawaii?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Except for the far southwestern corner of Utah, the southern part sets on the Colorado Plateau, meaning the elevation is relatively high and cold in winter. Lake Powell and Green River is about the only water around and of course Utah has been suffering from the 23 year western drought as bad as anyplace. However, the 4 corners states are seeing the wettest monsoon season in a decade so some of the worst is being alleviated a little.

Southern Arizona and the Sky Island Ranges are great for winter backpacking because when you’re staying at the lower elevations in winter the temps are warm and the accommodations are affordable, at least a lot cheaper than Metro Phoenix or Tucson. Problem is there’s not any water to speak of. I love Bisbee, AZ but Safford is a big enough town with internet and again is very affordable. Pinaleno Mountains (over 10,000 ft) are right there.

For warmth, water, hiking and affordability the Florida Panhandle will probably be the best bet. Of course you don’t have the gradient and mountains, but unless you go to the southern hemisphere in winter you won’t have it all. I’d find a short term rental around Chipley, Bonifay, Fanning Springs or another Florida Panhandle town away from the coastline. Plenty of awesome places to paddle in the area and the Florida Trail is nearby. There are some really nice stretches of the FT in northern FL and the Panhandle, especially in winter.  And in warmer periods of the winter you could go to the southern Appalachians about 5 hours away.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

During the time you have allotted you will not have issues with bugs nor people.

1.) The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, Minnesota 2.) Pukaskwa National Park, Canada, 3.) Lake Superior

Many areas to explore and enjoy……

M. C
    BPL Member

@bluemtns

Great suggestions – I will definitely investigate. Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools