Topic

Yosmite’s Back 40

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Yosmite’s Back 40

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

I am quite behind on trip reports, but I did manage to get out a few times in this year of flaming pandemics.

This trip report is from a trip to Yosemite and the Ansel Adam Wilderness in July. Like so many backpacking trips, it had its ups and downs (terrible pun not intended).

I tried to type it all into a BPL forum post, but that was met with frustrating errors ultimately traced, perhaps, to one too many parentheses. Even forum software is telling me that my narratives ramble too much!

It’s a pdf here, and it’s written in a blog here. I apologize for linking directly to a blog; it’s not monetized in any way, but it is the free version of WordPress, so it does have ads.

A few pics are below; the complete Flickr album is here, and an almost completely unrelated video version of the trip report is on Youtube here. It is almost completely unrelated because it is basically just the smooshing together of a bunch of short clips I took, with none of the rambling narrative. And, the rambling narrative really is the trip report, after all.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

>Man, that’s a lot of miles in a very short time!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Loved your photos. And I really enjoyed the whole story, which is what it felt like. None of your story was better than theses lines: “I am sure she is a wonderful person with many positive traits, but on this morning, she has not demonstrated many of them. Least of all, her ability to maintain possession of a horse.” Those lines made me laugh.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Thanks @alexdrewreed!

@balzaccom
    This was definitely not a “push the envelope” sort of trip–though I originally planned for three days. However, once the mountaineering got scrapped, it ended up being two pretty comfortable days, the second of which was all on trail.

In a perfect world, the itinerary would have been to stop at Blue Lake on day 1, climb Foerster early on day 2, climb Fletcher and Parsons later on day 2, and camp at the end of day 2 at Ireland Lake, or one of the off-trail lakes in the upper Lyell drainage.

However, ankle sprain being what it was, and chest pain being what it was… I stuck to the trails after getting back on them after Blue Lake Pass, and just kinda walked out. No regrets; we make our choices; c’est la vie. Now I have a reason to go back–to visit some summits that I walked by this time …

Rick W
    BPL Member

@rw362436-2

Excellent trip report and photos! This section of the SHR is on my list, so it’s nice to see a good TR on it.  (Although my version takes 4 days and includes a cheeseburger stop in Tuolumne Meadows.)

Good work pushing through the ankle pain.  It’s a terrible place to get injured, but it looks like you made good decisions.

George Ford
    BPL Member

@eers2u

Locale: West Virginia

I really enjoy your writing style.  Wonderful report.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

@rw362436-2 – Thanks! When I originally planned this route, I too included cheeseburgers in Tuolumne. It would be a good addition! A bit more time (and a couple fewer ailments) also might improve the itinerary :).

@eers2u
    – Thanks!

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Loved the photos!  Looks like a really pretty area.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools