Topic

Yellowstone/Beartooths, Mid-July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Yellowstone/Beartooths, Mid-July

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Thanks to the encouragement re: permits in this forum, I’m headed to Yellowstone area in mid-July. Need some help narrowing down my areas to focus on. Hoping some Montana/Wyoming veterans might weigh in.

Have 4-5 days, can do about 40 miles or less (depending on elevation gain) in that time. Priorities are scenery (water is nice, not in woods whole time), wildlife, solitude, wilderness character. The less time we spend w/ horsepackers the better (with all due respect), and if it’s possible to not get destroyed by bugs or bears, that would be nice.

Based on a talk w/ Yellowstone ranger about conditions this year, looking at northern part of the park either Gallatin Range or loops off the Lamar River, to the southwest or northeast. I’m also interested in the Beartooths, drove through there years ago and it looked sweet, although haven’t started mapping that yet.

It’s a huge area, and I don’t have a great feel for how the landscape syncs with the map. Does anyone have suggestions of sub-areas to narrow in on, or areas to rule out based on priorities above? Many thanks!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Wind River Range is nice. I imagine the mosquitoes would be bad in mid July though.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Thanks Brad! The Wind River range is definitely great, had a great moose experience last time I was there. Looking more toward Yellowstone/Beartooths this time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools