Topic

Yellow mountain

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dale K
    Spectator

@dalekorm

Like to take a trip, Carvers to 19e, take the side trail  before little hump up to yellow mountain. Sleep near the top. Realize it’s private on top. Is there any stealth spots on the way up near the top. But in the woods?

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Yes. Nice open beech trees along both sides of the trail. Great views out at the end! That would be a nice spot to cowboy camp after sunset. Bring water. No fires. The big open bald area is very scenic and has great views. There’s a slightly lower level below the top that’s a nice wide open grassy bench (including an actual bench for admiring the view). I suspect there might possibly be visits by neighbors either for sunrise or sunset and maybe with pets (dogs) so there’s that, but this activity would likely be confined to the open bald area out at the end so maybe camp a little back on the ridge before the big bald area.

There are 4 owners. 3 are conservation organizations or Gov. ( NC and US). The 4th I can’t identify but they also own the land with the Overmountain shelter so also likely some conservation organization and their part is a short piece you cross right off the AT . I’m guessing as long as you are stealthy and don’t leave a trace no problem but if it got to be a popular thing there might be some sort of ‘crackdown’

Nearest water probably at the Overmountain shelter so a bit of up/down to get water.

I’m thinking it might sort of be like the European thing where a ‘stealth’ “bivouac” by someone that is on the trail and moving along is tolerated but “camping” is not.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

the European thing where a ‘stealth’ “bivouac” by someone that is on the trail and moving along is tolerated but “camping” is not.
    One has to be careful with words.
    ‘Camping’ in Europe means caravans and marquees and similar, and sadly usually some destruction of the area. It is often banned.
    ‘Bivouac’ is what BPL members do, and it is legal, not just ‘tolerated’. There may be a requirement that the tent not stay up during the day.
    We have freely bivouaced across Europe.

Cheers

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Yes Roger that’s a useful characterization. I think/guess? a bivouac type camp might be ignored or tolerated as long as it doesn’t become a frequent or extended or more impactful event like “camping” in the area in question. The area does occupy a spur ridge off the AT so there might be the potential for this type of activity to become a nuisance but since there is a shelter within a mile or so and no water and most folks on the AT are not taking a lot of side trips it probably hasn’t risen to nuisance levels. The trail seemed lightly used when I took it last @ 3 years ago.

I believe/think that if it becomes more like a “Camping” type situation or frequently practiced with obviously impacted sites, fire rings etc the situation might change. The property is held by the state of NC, the US Gov, and the Nature Conservancy. Over-night use is not ‘officially’ permitted as far as I can tell but also doesn’t seem to be actively discouraged.

I don’t believe anyone will be out looking for a discreet ‘bivouac.’ the location is @ a mile and 800+vertical feet from any residences.

Dale google Avery County GIS to get the properties and ownership and have a look and see what you think. There may be some type of plants etc on the end in the bald area that are rare leading to the Nature Conservancy ownership though there is also an effort to acquire these ridgeline properties to protect and preserve the land in general from real estate development and preserve ridgelines from the likes of projects like the condo on Sugar Mt. that is clearly visible from Hump Mt. The Bald stretch on the end has benches and etc. like some level of visitation is expected and accommodated if not encouraged

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I don’t believe anyone will be out looking for a discreet ‘bivouac.’ the location is @ a mile and 800+vertical feet from any residences.
    Seems reasonable to me.

Funny slightly OT story. We were doing the GR10 route end to end along the Pyrenees in France, and one evening we camped on a nice spur near a spring. As the last 1/2 hr had been traversing steep forest, it was a welcome site. We had my old bright orange tunnel tent. So we cooked dinner and went to bed.

After a while, as the sun set, there was a voice outside, wanting to speak to us. ??? What on earth ???

It was the Guardian of the Refuge way down in the valley below us, and he was not really happy. Our tent was highly visible from the Refuge – which we had not noticed, and he did not think we should be there. You are in fact not allowed to camp too close to a Refuge, but he was stretching the ‘too close’ bit imho. Apparently tourists staying at the Refuge (it was car-accessible) had wanted to know why we were up there, and not paying for the Refuge. He had climbed all the way up the hill to us: a fair distance.

Well, I was half asleep anyhow, and it must have been obvious to him that I was NOT going to move my tent in the dusk. He mumbled, and then instructed us to be away by 10 am. Well, 10 am is our morning tea time, after a couple of hours walking, I said fine and went back to sleep. So the poor guy had to walk all the way back down.

OK, it’s a very bright orange! (Another campsite.)

Cheers

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I’ll bet that was a head scratching little encounter. Did the fellow speak French, Spanish and English? Reminds me of comments in other threads about orange tents. That’s probably what got his panties in a bunch; that big orange balloon ;)   (however well conceived and masterfully designed and engineered)

I think/hope there’s some GR 10 or GR11 or high route or mix in my future. But that’s way off topic..    :)

Reading and day-dreaming about it was how I became acquainted with the distinction between ‘camping’ and bivouac.

And cheers to you too.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I’ll bet that was a head scratching little encounter.
    For him, maybe. For us? Nope, not bit. Hey – I was half asleep!
    Were we speaking English or French? I don’t remember: could have been either.

Anyhow, I make no apologies for the bright orange. In the snow, bright is GOOD. It may be how you find your tent in a storm. Certainly, it is much more cheerful inside.

The ski track behind Sue is where we came in, from up the valley.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools