Topic

Year Round Greens

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Year Round Greens

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

We have a 4′ X 10′ planter box filled with Greens (kale, arugula, sprouting broccoli & chard).

My wife plants them several times a year so they pretty much produce year round.  Now, for example, most plants are a couple feet tall that she planted last summer.

This single planter box produces enough for the two of us.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

OOPS,

Meant to post this in  chaff.

Sorry.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

but, since it’s here

I grow greens all year.  Last winter I had to put reemay out a couple times.  Some winters it gets so cold it’ll kill everything.  I just ate the last of my lettuce.

Of course you live in the frozen north, it’s amazing anyone survives up there at all.  But global warming will fix that : )

Spinach and red leaf lettuce are good.  Red sails.  I have a hard time keeping arugula from flowering.  I just planted some arugula but I think cilantro came up.  I must have got the seeds mixed up, I got them from a plant.  Sometimes I get cilantro to grow good, sometimes it flowers too soon.  Looks like I’m out of luck buying arugula seeds right now, maybe this fall.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“Now, for example, most plants are a couple feet tall that she planted last summer.”

The purple sprouting broccoli will probably get bigger before it starts to produce, at least IME.  It is one of the most productive, least known brassicas.  I’m glad to hear you’ve found it.  Got to stop here;  my mouth is watering at the thought.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Nice!

I wish we could grow a good quantity of greens year round… it’s just not possible in any economically feasible way.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Unfortunatly, things die off every winter. I have some perenial onions (egyptian) that can supply an early crop of greens while everything else is 3-6″ high.   … anyway…

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

James,

I forgot that Seattle is more moderate than most places.  My sister in Evergreen Colorado can’t grow anything during the winter.

And Seattle winters are getting warmer.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

global warming

pretty soon you’ll be as warm as Portland : )

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

We have feral kale, collards, chard coming up (seeds spread on their own from stuff I planted years back), plus one tree collard plant that produces a lot.  It’s a wonderful perennial greens producer, I can’t recommend it more!  I’d never heard of them until someone brought a bunch of rooted cuttings to a neighborhood garden exchange a couple years ago.  We never have to buy greens except salad greens, but I’m about to plant lettuces now.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

maybe I’ll put out a few lettuce and spinach.  Since what I thought was arugula turned out to be cilantro I have a lot of cilantro so I planted some of that yesterday.

I usually put stuff out too soon and it struggles, better to wait a week or two.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

“plus one tree collard plant that produces a lot. It’s a wonderful perennial greens”

I https://www.projecttreecollard.org/like the sound of this.  Will look for some.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I do miss the 5 garden beds I had with the bush property. I have a small garden at the back here but the “garden soil ” that was delivered for it had too much clay so it is still a bit to hard for roots to penetrate, hence I had stunted veggies.

I made my own compost up in the bush place but that is not practical  here. (I do have a small composting box)

So once the current crops are done I will dig up again and add some gypsum and the compost I am making now from that box.

Funny bit : I had a worm farm when I lived closer to the city of Melbourne( walking distance to the business district) . When I moved here, across the bay,  I took some of those worms with me . Then I took them up to the bush and now their descendants are back down here. Still working away… .

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

And here I thought this would be about golf. What a disappointment.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

No golf…….just puttering around in the garden.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

:-)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

my garden is adjacent to the golf course

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

https://www.projecttreecollard.org/

dk

This tree collard  shows two different looking plants.  One is at at the top and one is farther down on the link.

Which looks most like the one you have?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

We have the purple one.  I saw the two others (dinosaur and green) on that website, now you’ve got me wanting all of them!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

we ate some dinosaur collard from the store and couldn’t stand the taste

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Thanks.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

The Merritt one looks good, too!

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

I have some tree collards. They take up lots of room in the garden. We never eat them. We do eat the mustard greens. Also the beet greens. GrowAbundant.com

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools