Topic

Year-round glove system. Reusing sun glove as first layer in colder seasons?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Year-round glove system. Reusing sun glove as first layer in colder seasons?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John W
    BPL Member

@john-the-outdoorsman

My current glove system has Montbell merino inner glove + EE Stronghold Mitts as an insulation layer.

The merino glove is not too durable and I also want smth better for summer than generic white working gloves from hardware stores.

The obvious downside would be colder fingertips if I go fingerless or hotter hands in summer if I go full gloves.

I was thinking about DIY-ing an extra layer of Apex into my EE mittens, either full outer palm area or over fingertips only.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

The work gloves I have used as sun gloves would make a poor insulating layer – not that they do not have some insulative capacity, it’s just a lot less for the weight than a powerstretch glove or similar. I can see taking my sun gloves on a spring trip with sun on the snow, but I would take them in addition to my other handwear, not as a replacement for part of my system.

If you want more durability, look for some Polypropylene liners, they are far more durable than the merino – practically indestructible in my experience.

I like Powerstretch liner gloves for the warmth and comfort, but the durability is limited. I have come to accept that, I look around and get them when I find them on sale.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools