Topic

Yama Mountain vs Gatewood

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Yama Mountain vs Gatewood

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    J-F B
    Spectator

@imasphere

Hi everyone.

I was considering buying a Gatewood Cape with the Serenity Net but I came across the Yama Mountain DIY kit. Since I already have an Integral Designs 5’x8′ I think the Yama Mountain kit might do a good job. I am basically looking for a light tarp option but since I never used a tarp before I also want to have a net shelter and bathtub floor. Has anyone used the Yama Mountain Bug shelter, or even better made there own shelter with the Yama DIY kit.

I have no experience sowing but I could get help from a friend who does a lot of sowing. I really like the Gatewood but the price for both the cape and net comes to $260 and since I’m Canadian, the exchange rate boosts that up an additional 35%. The Yama seems like a great kit, I’m just afraid that in a heavy rain shower, the size of my poncho-tarp would not be big enough to cover the openings at both ends of the net. Any input or feedback from anyone using this combo or something similar would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

If you’ve never used a tarp before you might consider getting some practice with a larger tarp (say 8×10) before spending money trying to sew (or buy) a very small and light tarp.  There will be a weight penalty (obviously) but you can buy an 8×10 tarp at a home supply store pretty inexpensively.  Set it up in your yard (if you have one) the day before a rainstorm and see what stays dry and what doesn’t.  Ideally set up the 5×8 that you already have next to it so you can see the difference between the two.  In my experience a 5×8 tarp gets very small in a storm.  It’s very light (I have an MLD Monk Tarp in Cuben) but I don’t think it’s what I’d want to use as I’m learning how (and where, which is equally important) to properly pitch a tarp.

I started using an 8×10 tarp and did a couple of different pitches until I was comfortable with it.  I try to hike when bugs are minimal so I’ve never bothered with a bugnet.  I had a piece of polycro under me and, with good site selection, have never had a problem.  I do have the Gatewood Cape and used it on my last three “tarp” trips before I switched to hammocks.  In addition to being able to use the Cape as rainwear, I also loved that you can pitch it high if you’re not expecting bad weather (for good ventilation) or the whole way to the ground if you’re seeing swirling winds blowing rain from all directions.

Paul E
    BPL Member

@floodcontrol

I have made the Yama mountain gear net tent kit. It is a good kit with good materials and excellent instructions. I am 6’4″ and I had enough material in the kit to lengthen the design by 10 inches and also make some dry bags. Love the kit and would do I again. It is well sized and is good to use. Enjoy!

Paul

J-F B
    Spectator

@imasphere

Thanks Paul I might just try my hand at sewing!

Kevin, I agree that a 5×8 tarp is small but the thing is,  I actually use the poncho quite often and I love the idea of a double use item. I really want a floor and netting and the idea behind a bathtub floor and front and rear walls like on the Yama kit is to protect me from rain under that small tarp. I also forgot to mention that this kit is for an upcoming hike of the Long Trail in Vermont where I plan to use the shelters and leantos most of the time. I do want some rain protection in case the shelters are full but I don’t want to carry a heavy tent if I’m only going to be needing it a few times. The net is also aimed at keeping the mice away. I’ve read on numerous posts that they can be real pests in the shelters when night comes and that such a net keeps them away.  I do understand  your concerns and I think I’ll try to make a practice net tent out of plastic wrap and tape just to see how the dimensions are with the poncho tarp, that way  the only thing I’ll waste is a bit of time and some scrap plastic wrap.

Thanks.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

It’s been over ten years now since I bought my Gatewood Cape and Serenity Net.  And guess what, I’ve never put the Net to use!  I’ve found that not all that many bugs like to come into the Cape, and when they do they seem to all congregate at the top and then back out through the hood.  Every now and then small critters will wander in, poke around, and then leave.  Sometimes they run over the top of me during the night, but since I mostly cowboy camp – saving the Cape for threatening weather – I’m used to that.  I’ve even used my Cape for winter camping as long as no blizzards are in the offing!  And in an emergency situation it will shelter two.  It’s definitely an awesome piece of gear and worth every penny; I’d recommend getting it…you won’t regret it.

Happy trails!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

I just got a 1P Cirriform tarp from them today.   They make GREAT gear!!!!

Thanks, Jay Wilkerson

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

The clarification makes a lot of sense…Good luck on the Long Trail – It’s on my Bucket List.

Since I’ve migrated to hammocks I no longer sleep in the shelters (much to the relief of others because, apparently, I snore) so the idea of critters running over me at night isn’t a problem, but I certainly understand why you’d want the nettent around you.

J-F B
    Spectator

@imasphere

Thanks guys for all the info. I must say that the Gatewood is still very tempting. Like I said before, if our Canadian dollar wasn’t so low I would probably already own it. I’ll see how the practice net tent comes out  and whether it is adequate enough for a small poncho tarp and make my decision based on that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools