Topic

XUL – <2.75lb / <1.25kg @ 40+°F

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion XUL – <2.75lb / <1.25kg @ 40+°F

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Montmolar
    Spectator

@vhk416googlemail-com

Saw the post by @septimius and wanted to share my own XUL loadout with you guys for inspiration.

Lighterpack

Lighterpack Link: https://lighterpack.com/r/g8nyp0

Key features:

MYOG DCF Plex Solo Tent

XUL Esbit Cook Kit

MYOG Summer Quilt

It’s actually been used on a few overnighters and doesn’t compromise on comfort too much.

Won’t be easy to copy though, as it heavily relies on MYOG @montmolar.

Enjoy. :)

Montmolar
    Spectator

@vhk416googlemail-com

My SUL (<4.65lb / 2.1kg) setup is more reasonable though and gets used most of the times:

SUL Kit

Lighterpack link: https://lighterpack.com/r/um0g9u

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Why do you carry silica gel?

Montmolar
    Spectator

@vhk416googlemail-com

To keep my electronics extra dry in the DCF ditty bag – just a safety measure so to speak.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Excellent. I really like the cutting-edge SUL quilt and tent, unfortunately I don’t think many BPL subscribers truly appreciate the very lightest kits. You’ll see far more young fastpack/FKT types over on Reddit. backpackinglight.com is mainly Boomers and Gen X. There are a few old folks (like me) however who despise weight intensely enough to seek out uberlight options. I realize most backpackers want camp comfort and are willing to lug around the boat anchor all day, and that’s fine (HYOH), but I like a base weight which is so light I hardly even know I’m carrying anything.

What do you pack for raingear Montmolar?

Montmolar
    Spectator

@vhk416googlemail-com

Haha, okay I see. Most would probably count me towards the FKT/Fastpack type of hiker anyways – enjoying long days with only few, short breaks in between.

For rain I’ve been exclusively using the Shakedry those last years, as it has been a total game changer for me. No need for a wind jacket or similar, as the Shakedry will do it all. <3

Pants are MYOG with a 6D WPB material, as well as rain mitten from the same fabric. They are fine, but will eventually wet out in harsh alpine conditions…

If the wind allows it I’ll also use my UL umbrella a lot during rain and sun.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

most backpackers want camp comfort and are willing to lug around the boat anchor all day

Backpacker magazine (yeah that one) had an online article on how achieving a 10 lb-ish baseweight was easy but getting into 5lb SUL baseweights would involve camping discomfort in many instances (not all I might add .. outdoors types of yr olde tymes used thin foam mats, … like my 1980s basic military training fwiw).

Also read “fastpacks” involving at least some running are better with 5lb or below baseweights.

Then there’s also food and especially water bringing into the question of packweight and choosing environmental conditions suitable for the pack, the hikers’ health, etc.. .  I was feeling unstoppable with my Pa’lante V2 last month (who needed the gym?  .. thankfully as the biggest weight I lifted were croissants and IPAs) until I had a few 4L water carries.  So long 30 mile days..

Babyboomers and GenX .. [vs] reddit

If Backpacker (now owned by Outside and all online) can start dipping into SUL and fastpacks, no reason BPL can’t.  I saw a sub 5lb loadout on Reddit for this year’s PCT (granted before the snow), but not sure that’s realistic with most experiences as part of the Big 4 was a small flat tarp and 1/8” thin foam pad.    If a dry year .. maybe but buggy areas do drive unprepared hikers off trail (with plenty of red bumps and welts to scratch in their hotel rooms).  Gotta be realistic..

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

If you’re an SUL thru-hiker you should be mistaken for a day hiker, otherwise you’re probably packing too much.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

BPL has a long history of helping people find enLIGHTenment and for that I commend Ryan and all the others who have helped out along the way.  But yes, it’s definitely more focused the ultralight and not the S- or X-ultralight as much.

I have my settings on the forum programmed to send me an email alert any time someone posts to the SUL area of the forum because that’s representative of the most innovative stuff in my humble opinion.  I’ve built dozens of UL kits in my twenty or so years of backpacking and most of them have served me really well but it’s the sub 5lb ones that I still find completely intriguing!

This is a great example of the lightest stuff and you’ve obviously poured a lot of thought and work into sewing and building a bunch of your own gear.  You could easily lose close to 700 grams from this list if you really wanted to take a short trip for the sake of saying you went even lighter (electronics, trowel, spare underwear, and items like that) which is pretty cool considering the list is already really, really light!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Here’s an SUL list that I made. It’s a bit incomplete because I didn’t weigh the things I put in my fanny pack, things like chapstick, dental hygiene, money. https://lighterpack.com/r/ld5ucb I think I could do a June So Cal hike in the Los Padres pretty easily with this list. I could also trade out my Nashville Cutaway (~20oz) for a little extra weight and more capacity for water and food and it would still be pretty light.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools