Topic

Xpac Custom Fabric Run. MYOG Resource and Gear Production.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Xpac Custom Fabric Run. MYOG Resource and Gear Production.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

Locale: Southwest

Hi folks, I’m getting ready to order a custom run of Xpac V21 (210 Denier face with .5mil PET laminate and NO 50d Polyester taffeta scrim)

I’ve been using the X21 material to build packs for the last 4 years or so via my LLC Cascade Craftworks. I believe this to be the nearly the ideal of functionally waterproof fabric for ultralight packs.

I moved to New Mexico last winter and have been focusing on prototyping for a new line of backpacking/bikepacking gear. (I’ve been a lifelong adventure cyclist).

I’ve been a contributor to online ultralight backpacking forums since the pre-BPL days of backpacking.net.

I am a firm believer that most innovation in the realms of accessible outdoor gear will always come from cottage gear makers and garage tinkerers. Being a support/resource to these communities has always been in the best interest of outdoor enthusiasts everywhere.

I wanted to pose a question: What fabric colors are folks interested in?

I have access to Black, White, Bahama Blue, Spanish Teal, Deep Purple, True Red, Coyote Brown and Slate Grey

Be mindful that in any case, I will be doing a run of V42 (420 Denier face to .5mil PET with no X ply or 50d poly scrim) in BLACK.

So something that can blend/contrast with BLACK is ideal.

Currently I am leaning toward Coyote Brown, though I’m Happy to be swayed by the will of the people.

As a disclosure, I do intend to sell this fabric once produced.

Further, I have begun building a number of video tutorials for home-gear makers to gain some insight or inspiration from the 15+ years of sewing experience I have accumulated.

In any case, I hope this holiday season treats you all well.

Cheers,

Nathan

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Grey!

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

Grey is good. I wouldn’t choose a bright color for my pack, but I would take anything over brown. Brown is terrible. Brown ruins everything. People who wear browns and beiges are horrible animals.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Grey or gray

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

I think white is awesome. Is this different than X21?

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

It’s Xpac X21 WITHOUT the diamond-grid X-ply which just serves as a wear point at this weight of pack fabric.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Oh man, this is going to be outstanding material. Expect an order from me. I also think grey would be a good choice.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Can I vote twice for grey?

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

So my only issue with the slate Grey, is that DP already builds this in X21. The opportunity to build something novel outside of current X21 options (Black, Grey, Yellow, Whitish-grey) is appealing to me, I can buy small yardage of X21 in Grey at my leisure. Whereas this is a 100yard minimum to do the custom spec.

Also considering using a white-pigmented PET layer to add visibility and contrast on inside of pack.

Also note that ‘coyote brown’ is more of a sandy-tan.

Heres a KS ultralight in this same color fabric:

Coyote

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

White pigmented PET layer – YES. If that’s not much more of a cost to you that’s a no brainer.

Otherwise, my vote is blue! Also, good call on a V21 fabric. While I like the looks of X21, the grid really is useless in packs. Do you know what the oz/yd difference would be in X21 vs V21?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Heck yes at white inside.

What about a bold color for inside? Bright yellow? Hot pink? Funky neon lime green? I may not be representative of everyone else’s taste but I like the idea of a pack that is subtle on the outside and has a functional (bright) but interesting/weird interior color.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

I love coyote for hammock or quilts, but there’s just something I don’t like about it on a pack. Couldn’t tell you why, but for packs I much prefer green, red, gray, white, or black.

Also, there’s something I love about a white pack with black bottom, straps and pockets. Maybe it reminds me of a Stormtrooper’s pack?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Great to hear you’re ditching the X layer. Perfect move. Lighter, more durable, easy to roll.

On color, I’m easily pleased as long as it’s not something too wild (purple, teal). I like the other colors (blue, red) and the neutral shades (grey, brown). Ideal would be one color and one neutral.

Medic16
    Spectator

@medic16

Coyote Brown

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Gray and “whitish gray”  combo would really make it different. Gray on the bottom and other wear areas, W-G on the main body.

(Full Disclosure) This color suggestion is coming from a guy who just had his stucco house painted brick red with cream color eaves, fascia and trim – so be forewarned. (No, I’m not color blind, but all my taste is in my mouth.)

Spencer A
    BPL Member

@spencer-a

I personally like grey, black, green, or blue, though not as bright as the VX-21 colors…more like the Dyneema X green and blue that RSBTR offers.

Any word on how much this fabric will weigh and when it will arrive?  I would be interested in purchasing a few yards

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Any word on how much this fabric will weigh and when it will arrive?  I would be interested in purchasing a few yards

X21RC weighs 4.4 osy and I wouldn’t imagine that just removing the X-ply would reduce the weight by much. Nathan will know once he gets his hands on it but my guess is ~4.2 osy?

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

What Hoosier said.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Curious, what color did you end up going with? I’m ready to order a yard as soon as you get it.

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

I’m building the first run of V21 in Coyote tan. I know I’ll get some boo’s here, but everyone locally I’ve shown the color to here locally has raved about it. Contrasted with black looks great.

For additional novelty, I’ll be offering some X21 in Black and X42 in Green with a white pigmented PET inner laminate.

Next custom run will be a V42 in Black. Likely in Feb/ March

Will provide an initial announcement once I have these in-hand.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Black and gold?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

My wife will love it. She’s been asking me to make her a MYOG clone of her GG gorilla. All her hammock and quilt gear is coyote and purple (stellar combo btw) so It’ll work out.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Cool. Do you have an ETA on the V21?

It appears that the CascadeCraftworks.com website is down.

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

End of January last I heard.

New website in the works as I rebrand.

Cheers

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

“I’m building the first run of V21 in Coyote tan. I know I’ll get some boo’s here”

Boo! Hiss! Just kidding. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools