Topic

xinix aquacare water treatment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion xinix aquacare water treatment

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Anyone have experience with xinix aquacare water disinfectant? Seen claims from adventure racers that water is safe after 2 minutes?! I find myself wondering how it could be so quick acting and not leave the water tasting awful. When I used chlorine dioxide in the past it was not expected to be this fast.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Does it have EPA/FDA approval as a purifier?
    Not that I can see.

Cheers

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It comes across as the same as premixed aquamira and only claming to kill bacteria, viruses and fungus. The treatment time being so low is a little gimmicky (marketing spin), but I am sure it sells because of it. I would want to wait more like 15 minutes before drinking (same as aquamira treatment times). Maybe Ryan Jordan will comment.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

“The treatment time being so low is a little gimmicky (marketing spin)”

I’m shocked!  Shocked I say!

I find the claims of efficacy for curing foot fungus and acne very off-putting.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Bacteria and viruses are killed in under a minute………with clo2

The longer treatment time is necessary for giardia and cryptosporidium

Crypto basically take so long nobody even worries about it

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I still carry a few chlorine dioxide tabs as a backup, but I don’t use aquamira anymore. I drink more water if it tastes better, and it tastes better coming from the Sawyer. No need for electrolyte flavorings to cover up the a.m.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

”Dose makes the poison.” Two drops of XiniX AquaCare treat 200 ml of clear water in one minute; four drops for two minutes in turbid water. That’s roughly the same dose as two-part AquaMira, making some big assumptions about drop size. If you want to treat an entire liter … who knows? Can’t assume it scales linearly by dose or time.

Xinix claims Giardia reduced 99.9% in 0.5 minutes here:
    https://www.xinix.se/what-is-xinix/

Unopened bottles expire in one year, opened bottles in 60 days.

It’s “tested and approved” to a long list of EN standards (all behind paywalls):

EN-14476 Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics – Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of virucidal activity in the medical area
    EN-13624 Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics. Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of fungicidal or yeasticidal activity in the medical area
    EN-13727 Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics – Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of bactericidal activity in the medical area
    EN-1500 Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics – Hygienic handrub
    EN-13704 Chemical disinfectants. Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of sporicidal activity of chemical disinfectants used in food, industrial, domestic and institutional areas
    EN-12054 Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics – Products for hygienic and surgical handrub and handwash – Bactericidal activity

Lots of anecdotes saying “I used it and didn’t get sick” don’t mean much. I’ve accidentally swallowed gallons of untreated water from larger rivers around the Western U.S., and didn’t get sick. I still filter or treat my water.

As Roger says, wait for EPA blessing.

— Rex

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools