Topic

Worth salvaging down from quality but old heirloom down blanket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Worth salvaging down from quality but old heirloom down blanket?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

next post

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I have a high quality heirloom down blanket. Each square baffle has at least 4 in. loft and the down is most likely Polish down, which tends to be high quality. The blanket is about 60 years old, but was stored uncompressed when not used, and when used, used inside a comforter, so it’s in excellent condition. The blanket isn’t really used anymore because it’s sooooo warm, way too warm for US indoor use, even with the thermostat not turned up high.

How long can down last in good shape if stored uncompressed and dry? Do you think it’s worth using some of this down to augment any down quilts, pants or jackets? I guess that depends on the fill power, which may be difficult to measure accurately based on a thread I read here.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If it doesn’t have a musty smell to it, I could imagine it still being good.  I’ve got some 40-year-old down items that are still useable.

Yeah, could you sort it on a small scale to get the feathers out?  Got it from 400 FP to 600 FP, maybe?  Painter’s plastic sheeting and lots of tape to create one chamber with cross-flow wind at the top, blowing the lightest stuff into another settling chamber – a chamber that maybe has air exhausted from it after going through a pillow case.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Do you mean an heirloom quilt? If so, it could be worth a lot of money, so you might look into that before you pull it apart. We had one in the family, turned out to be appraised much higher than anyone expected.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools