Topic

Wolves and Wolverines: A Complicated Relationship

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Wolves and Wolverines: A Complicated Relationship

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

An interesting, short read.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Doug.

Now I want to find out how a wolverine that is no bigger than a cocker spaniel stalks and kills a caribou.

Cheers.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Doug thanks for sharing. The mustelids / weasels (wolverines, otters, badgers, ferrets, martens and minks) are amazing creatures. Probably the most successful and adaptable hunting mammal family.

I’m doubtful a single wolf took out this wolverine. Wolves’ strength is operating as a team and attacking and distracting a victim from many sides at once. A single wolf would be taking a huge risk taking on a wolverine.

Bruce I would guess that they take them down similar to how they’ve been recorded dispatching polar bears and how their African cousins the honey badgers have taken out massive Cape buffaloes. Wolverines have been recorded suffocating polar bears to death by crushing their throats with their strong jaws and honey badgers have killed male Cape buffaloes by tearing apart their groins causing fatal bleeding.

Perhaps their biggest weakness, outside of sensitivity to habitat destruction from climate change, is overeating. They have been known to gorge themselves to death, including devouring porcupines so quickly they don’t remove the quills, which later kill them.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I wonder why they don’t attack humans. They could easily take one down.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Thanks. Fascinating animals.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools