Topic

Winter stove, reactor?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter stove, reactor?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Roger, not sure what your point is.  I am not aware that any substantial change have been made to the stove, so the answer to your question is probably, “Yes, it will still emit CO.”

For my purposes this stove fits the bill admirably.   There are certainly other choices for those whose needs differ.  Different strokes and all….

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yes, different people have different needs. That’s true.

My point? Since bad weather can make cooking inside the shelter of my tent completely unavoidable, without forewarning, I will never take a stove which can not be safely used inside my tent (or a hut). It could be fatal.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger, have you tested the Reactors now being sold on the market? 2 years have passed since your testing. I’m in the market for a used one.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

MSR withdrew the V1 after I sent them our CO test results. A couple of months later they released a modified version: V2. It was a little but not much better. I have not looked at the Reactor since then, but somehow I doubt they have changed it from the V2.

A detailed photo of the valve region would help if anyone has such.

However, I have to point out that it may be impossible to improve the combustion in the Reactor as the basic design is inherently prone to producing CO. Run flat out it is not so bad (a relative comment), but at low to medium power – dangerous.

Cheers

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

No similar issues with the Windburner?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

The MSR Windburner is essentially a rebadged Reactor. It will have exactly the same CO problems.

The problem lies in the design of the burner. As implemented by MSR (and copied by others), the stove simply can not get enough oxygen into the flame before the flame is quenched. Result: high CO.

Cheers

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I thought the burners were slightly different. Reactor with a porous ceramic vs. Windburner with layers of mesh. But it sounds like the burner surface isn’t the issue anyway.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

But it sounds like the burner surface isn’t the issue anyway.
    In my humble opinion.
    Cheers

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Soooo

is there something out there that, among other attributes, compares CO emissions of the “ top 5 selling stoves”

Thanks !

Scott

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Ah, but which are the ‘top 5’?
    You could read our articles on CO emissions:
    https://backpackinglight.com/stoves_tents_carbon_monoxide/
    https://backpackinglight.com/stoves_tents_carbon_monoxide_pt_2/
    https://backpackinglight.com/stoves_tents_carbon_monoxide_pt_3/
    https://backpackinglight.com/stoves_tents_carbon_monoxide_pt_4/
    There are several other parts in this series, although the URLs to them may not be working just now. Forum SW update …

Cheers

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Roger

this will work

Thanks !

Scott

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ah, but which are the ‘top 5’?

You could just give us the names of the stoves ;)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

….Nice blue flame Roger

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Dan

.Nice blue flame Roger
    Well, it’s blue all right, but that sort of ‘blue’ could well be releasing some CO. It looks a little bit starved to me. Given what I know about the workings of the Reactor, I am sure it is.

For good combustion you need that region of bright light blue flame before you get to the more gentle dark blue. You can see both here. The different blues reflect the different stages of combustion.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Well, it’s blue all right, but that sort of ‘blue’ could well be releasing some CO. It looks a little bit starved to me.

It is releasing CO…..all stoves release CO.

Looks fine to me.

For good combustion you need that region of bright light blue flame before you get to the more gentle dark blue. You can see both here. The different blues reflect the different stages of combustion.

Good selling point for your stoves 

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Actually, that photo of the Reactor with the blue flame on top is seriously wrong. A functioning Reactor should look like this:

I suspect the air intake is not working properly. The jet may be blocked or something. Could be dangerous.

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

from my experience, the flame on a reactor is always blue when just lit (and from Dan’s photo I’d say that the stove was just lit, you can tell by the ‘bubbles’). it doesn’t turn red, as in roger’s photo, until it has burned for several seconds. different stages of combustion and all…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

dan, where do you find that add on that allows flat bottomed pots to be used with the reactor (or, in my case, windburner)?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

idester, I sent that info in a PM

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

You know, if that add-on Dan has shown is a solid ring of metal as it seems to be, with a flat top as it seems to be, then there seems to be nowhere for the hot gases or flame products to escape. In which case the flame inside is going to be seriously choked, and that could cause huge amounts of CO to be emitted.

Of course, it is always possible that I can’t see the exhaust holes, OR that Dan meant the pics as a joke. An example of what NOT to do!

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The maker said the surface is irregular and allows air passage. When I make mine, holes will be punched in the side to allow sufficient air. 

I’ll manufacture some to be given away naturally. 

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

from my experience, the flame on a reactor is always blue when just lit (and from Dan’s photo I’d say that the stove was just lit, you can tell by the ‘bubbles’). it doesn’t turn red, as in roger’s photo, until it has burned for several seconds. different stages of combustion and all…

Roger’s testing doesn’t always see the norm 

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Some one better warn Ryan Jordan about using the Reactor:

YouTube video

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Chuckle.
    Given the sort of wind blowing the tent around, I doubt that he was at much risk. Well, not at risk from CO anyhow. There did seem to be some other risks around.

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools