Topic

Winter hiking specific backpack recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter hiking specific backpack recommendations

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kevin G
    BPL Member

@kguzda39

Locale: New England

Hello,

I’m considering getting a 40-50 liter sized backpack that’s specifically suited to winter hiking/snowshoeing and also for a winter overnight trip. I’m not into frameless packs so  a internal framed pack, something 3lb range or less is ok. Any recommendations?

So far I have narrowed it down to the Black Diamond Mission 45 or 55, the North Face Phantom 50L,  or the North Face Banchee, or the Mountain Hardware AMG 55.

Thanks

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It is a sad fact of life that winter trips need more gear ™.

It is a rather fortunate fact of life that you do not have to fill up a larger pack just because the space is there.

Imho, 50 L for winter could be a bit small.

Cheers

Kevin G
    BPL Member

@kguzda39

I’m in complete agreement with you, I probably should have been more clear. I’m mainly looking at these packs as a winter day hiking. I wouod probably use my 55-65 Flash or Circuit X to get by if I wanted to do an overnight. I just was looking to treat myself to a 40-50 liter pack for winter snowshoe hikes..

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

My wife and I both use Granite Gear blaze 60 packs for our winter overnight trips here in Washington State (typically in the snow). I think they weigh about 3 Lbs.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I use an Osprey Skimmer 30L for day hiking, skiing and snowshoeing in winter. It’s plenty big and I can pack along down pants and jacket, extra mitts, dry socks, spare balaclava, emergency blanket, fire starter, hand warmers, thermos of hot tea, snacks, 1st aid, insulated sit pad, and more. Bungees on the back to stow snowshoes if not needed.

Overnights  – 1-2 nights – I take a lot more, even for a cabin trip, so take a 60L pack (Granite gear blaze) and usually a sled. Extra dry baselayer, more spare socks and gloves, dry hat, headlamp, etc. require more room in the pack. Add into the sled mukluks, wood, hatchet and a big tarp tied down with bungees. I don’t go out for long winter trips; I’d take a hot tent with a woodstove if I did. Those are so nice! And a companion who could serve as pack mule.

Kevin G
    BPL Member

@kguzda39

The Blaze looks like a sweet pack, I won’t be doing a ton of overnights but still would like to have a good option for those 1 or 2 overnight trips I do. I haven’t heard of the other one pack but will give it a look..

talagnu
    BPL Member

@talagnu

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You don’t explain the conditions where you will be day hiking or overnighting.  I would think 60L is about right for an overnight or two nights where you are carrying all your gear for winter camping below tree line in the Pacific NW.

Apart from size, I personally think the winter specific issues include how the pack carries all the bits you need in winter on the outside: water bottles, (ambient temps permitting), snow shoes, wag bag, snow shovel, etc. Many Osprey packs for example have a “snow shovel pocket.”

Seems like for snow showing, you want a day pack that enables to lash the snow shoes onto the pack when you are not wearing the snow shoes.

Kevin G
    BPL Member

@kguzda39

I’ll be doing winter hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire as well as local easier hikes. Most of the hikes will be in fair conditions tree-line or below, but I will eventually be doing some 4-6 k peaks , temps anywhere from below zero to 30’s and 40’s. For the overnights, I plan on doing easier out and backs or basecamping near the road and grabbing a peak the next morning. I’m looking for a pack designed to carry the snowshoes, spikes, and winter gear that I will need…

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

When I go overnight in winter, I’m using a much larger pack than you’re considering.  I’d use my Seek Outside Unaweep 6,300 which has a 103L main bag and the backpack has a total weight less than 3.5 lbs. The difference in weight between that and the next smaller bag size, which is 25L less, is 3oz. I’ll take that small penalty for the additional 25L.

Good luck in your adventures and whatever backpack you choose.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Kevin. I can fit my winter kit into (or the front of) a now discontinued 60L Osprey Aether pack mostly because I carry a pyramid shelter instead of a tent and have fine tuned my insulation for the conditions I expect in the California Sierra Nevada below snow line.

If there is a bricks and mortar shop near you why not just go in with all your winter kit and see whether it will fit in a 60 or 70L pack?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Look at HMG. https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/
    Nice packs if a little overbuilt, quite rugged.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools