Topic

Winter Hiking Partners for Southwest Desert Jan,Feb & March?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Winter Hiking Partners for Southwest Desert Jan,Feb & March?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

Hey there!  I have the entire winter off this year, and am really wanting to cherry pick some great hiking in the Southwest.  So I looking at a few sections of different desert routes/trails. Looking to hike the sections where the climate makes sense, and would stop at sections where altitude and snow would be. Some ideas I’ve looked at would be sections in the GET, the Hayduke, and a few others.

So, if there are any others who have some time, and can’t wait to get out of the cold, lol, get in touch, and throw out some ideas and lets go have some fun.  I also have family to help shuttle etc. in the Phoenix area.  I am planning on being at the get together, so if any others want to use that as a jumping off point, that’s always an idea?  Looking forward to being WARM!

Chris S
    BPL Member

@chris12

Hi Steve,

I’m actually in the process of of planning some trip(s) to the US Southwest for late February, March or even April. I’m relatively new to backpacking, which I blame partially on living in a section of Canada that has little to no elevation gain and more of a canoe culture. I spent 2.5 months on the US west coast last summer doing a road trip and really fell in love with hiking (although day hikes of 10-15 miles were the norm). Being relatively new to hiking still, I was hoping to do a few trips with some other people.

I typically get 1-2 weeks off work every 1.5 months and therefore am pretty flexible with trip length. I’ve been looking into hikes in the Superstition Wildnerness, sections of the Arizona Trail, and the Grand Canyon. Let me know if any of this interests you.

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

Chris,

thanks for the reply! For sure I would be interested in getting together! I have an interest in any and all of that, lol.  If you have some more definitive dates in mind, please message me lets discuss some details.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools