Topic

Winter hiking pants from Duluth Trading

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Winter hiking pants from Duluth Trading

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’ve been looking for fleece lined winter hiking pants that were all synthetic. Unlined nylon or poly pants or GTX shells are nice but require long johns for a cold day. Putting on and taking off long johns is a PITA and thus my preference for a fleece lining for daily workout hikes.

So I found that Duluth Traders has a pair of 100% nylon fleece lined pants for $89.50 with free shipping for orders over $50. I ordered a pair today because I’ve at last found what I’ve been searching for.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Workout hikes?  Sure.  Backpacking trips?  No way, might as well be wearing blue jeans as these are cotton canvas.  And always beware a company that doesn’t list the overall weight of its product, like these pants.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Walter,

The pants I ordered are 100% NYLON shell with polyester fleece lining. I triple checked the ad copy in the catalog and then asked the customer service lady to be absolutely sure. They are called “Dry-on-the-Fly” pants.

Quoting from the catalog:  “5.6 oz. 100% nylon” and “We’ve lined it with 200 gram polyester fleece”.

These are excellent for winter and when worn over “polar weight” or even mid-weight wool or poly long johns they would be good to 10 F. when you are moving. With my Thermolite insulating pants under them they should be good to -40 F. That’s the lowest temperature I’ve experienced and I had insulated alpine ski pants on over military polypro longies and was fine.

FEATURES:

->double knees

->front zippered cargo pockets (for access when sitting)

->Scotch Guard DWR (better than nothing)

->a web belt with plastic QR buckle.

-> gusseted crotch (big, long gusset for plenty of freedom)

Given Duluth Trading’s quality these pants should last many years of winter use, including alpine skiing. I know I’ll be wearing them for hunting next year. Then BC skiing and snowshoeing.

UPDATE: Today I got these pants. They are very well made and the nylon shell is extremely tightly woven.

Note: If you get them you’ll need to spray them with a good DWR like Grangers or REVIVEX B/C the Scotchguard they are treated with is as useless as tits on a boar.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

LINK

They look warm, for sure. Maybe overheat without venting? Looking forward to first-hand impressions.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Thanks for the link and sorry for my confusion,  Still can’t figure the overall weight of the pants.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Eric- I, too, recently got a pair of Duluth Trading’s pants and they have become my favorite hiking pants. They seem fine in our winter weather so far (28 degrees is the lowest I’ve had them in so far). I got the Black Hills Water Repellent Pants and they are essentially windproof with a soft brushed interior on the leg. I wouldn’t wear them winter camping but for active winter hiking and skiing? You bet. The only thing I wish they had that they don’t is I do wish they had belt loops.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Bob,

If I was more computer literate I’d have posted the link. Thanks for doing that.

Dena,

Thanks for the link. These pants look good and I may get some for my wife for winter. She’s not a skier but she hikes in winter.

They look like they would be very good over a pair of 200 weight Polartec fleece pants for colder weather. It’s amazing how well a synthetic combination like that can stay dry when XC skiing. I’d only recommend  some gaiters to keep the cuffs from flapping around and keep snow out of boots.

UPDATE:

I got these pants Tuesday. They exceeded my expectations with extra features. They are excellent quality with very tightly woven nylon shells that should prove to be quite wind resistant.

You will need to spray them 2 X with a good DWR like Granger’s or Revivex as the Scotchguard is worthless.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

SALE:

If you like charcoal as a pants color you can now get these pants for $54. !!

All other colors are still $89.50.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools