Topic

Winter Hiking Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter Hiking Pack

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

In past winter trips, I’ve either 1. had my snowshoes on the whole time, or 2. been pulling a sled so using a heavier pack and/or lashing gear to the sled didn’t matter so much, but I’m finding I want a pack that offers enough volume for myself and some of my wife’s gear (probably around 50-60L will work), and that also has some decent options for lashing snowshoes for sections they aren’t needed. Either framed or frameless could be considered (needing more volume than weight), and it should be able to fit a pretty long torso.

What do you like and why?

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

HMG Porter, choose your size. Nice durability and waterproofness. Ample lashing points and proven comfort for my heaviest loads, ~40lbs.

Maybe be you can get a pro deal and spring for the dyneema? That pack will last a long long time.

Stephen Collins
    BPL Member

@scwcollins

Locale: socal

I also like the HMG Porter — for the same reasons that Paul mentioned, though the most I’ve carried is probably 25 pounds.

The Porter also compresses down easily enough that you can use it for any trip, really. I have the 4400 cubic inch version and use it all year as my only backpacking pack.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Mc Hale Sarc.

Most comfortable and configureable pack I have ever used.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’d recommend a 60 L. pack. Winter gear is bulkier.

Personally I think it’s not possible to have a truly “UL” winter backpack & contents. Winter weather is too unforgiving to risk being “skimpy” on clothing, shelter, sleep system or fuel.

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

Those are good tips on the HMG Porter. I had only ever really paid attention to their other packs, but figured it wouldn’t make sense for carrying snowshoes since the added pockets would just be in the way… didn’t realize that the Porter was specifically designed for that modular approach to external pockets and attachments.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Winter gear is bulky – very true. Go for full frame and 70+L volume. Remember: it is not the volume which matters but the WEIGHT. A good frame is worth every gram.

Cheers

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

I ended up ordering a Porter 4400 (and all Dyneema; thank goodness for pro deals), so I’m pretty excited to see how it works out. I’ll be going on a little overnight hike on the SHT in a few weeks so it should be a good chance to give it a good try for winter use.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

Peter – nice choice.  I have a 4400 SW and love it.  What’s the “pro deals” you speak of?  What did your pack cost (PM me if needed)?

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

Well, going with all-Dyneema (which will always be cuben fiber in my heart) would be $600 without the discount, though it’s a custom order and adds 2-3 weeks for building, and presumably can’t otherwise be exchanged/returned.

Pro deals are sometimes offered for folks in related industries (which in outdoor gear could be anything from working for another gear company like I do, or guides, professional bloggers, etc.) Not sure if they’re ok with publishing the details of their pro discount, but if you work in a related field it’d be worth contacting them about it.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Peter, good choice on the Porter 4400.

I use a Porter 4400 and a 2400 with removable hipbelt for winter. The 4400 for overnights and the 2400 for day use due to big puffy jacket and pants. Ski’s fit really nice on the sides and snowshoes fit perfectly along the front of the pack. Before I ordered I asked the HMG man if its really needed to get full dyneema since I would be carrying skis and snowshoes and he said its not needed. I also asked if he has heard of any problems with ski’s cutting the cuben hybrid material and he said none come to mind, so I ordered standard hybrid cuben fiber.

I prefer the cuben over any other material due to the waterproofness. I originally bought a MLD Newt for winter day use and I didn’t like that my down jacket that was in the backpack was wet from back sweat. When I pull my down jacket out on winter day trips I like to have it already lofted as much as possible so I can get warmth right away, so it wasn’t in a water proof stuff sack.

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

JPovs,

You may already know this but,

Full dyneema is just as waterproof as hybrid cuben (DCF). They both have laminated Mylar backing.

The full dyneema option at HMG is a woven dyneema face fabric with a Mylar backing. It isn’t the same material as Dyneema X that MLD uses for their packs. That material is NOT waterproof. My previous pack was an Arc Haul, and it would wet out.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Paul,

I’m aware of the differences.

Thank you!

Ricky Ng
    Spectator

@dummey

Exped Lightning 60 is my current heavy load pack. Reasonably priced at ~$150 on sale. About 40oz and max load of about 50lbs.

Not great in water resistance though.

The frame design is very comfortable for me, but I’ve heard it being a hit or miss for some people.

Heaviest load I’ve done is (not during winter though) at Lost Coast at 41lbs on sand which kinda sucked, but no complaints about the pack except for the lack of mesh netting area for drying things.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools