Topic

Winter Glove Systems 2023

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Winter Glove Systems 2023

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Wangle
    BPL Member

@wangle

Hi all,

Winter gloves systems have been brought up previously on this forum and during the Winter Hiking FAQ, but since technology has changed so much in the past few years and I wanted to go on a deeper dive, what’s your gloves systems for winter backcountry trips down to -20F?

Ebersbacher Ledges Jan 2023

I was just on the Mountaineer’s Route on Mount Whitney and my hiking partner and my hands got too cold right at Ebersbacher Ledges going up to Lower Boy Scout Lake.  Needless to say we had to turn back.  The Black Diamond Guide Gloves did not cut it in 5F temps with a windchill taking it down to neg F territory.

I took some hints from RJ in the Winter Hiking FAQ to do a liner + a mitt.  Will the Powder stretch Fleece liner + Torrid Mitt be warm down to -20F?  If not, do I need a heavy fleece + an 8000m mitt?

Any direction would really help.  Hand warmth is the bottleneck right now.

FYI: I currently have the BD Medium Weight Polartec Powerstretch Fleece gloves, a The North Face Futurelight IL Solo Pro gloves, and Black Diamond Guide Gloves.

For your amusement, the Whitney Portal Shop:

Whitney Portal Store

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Are you asking about handwear for general winter snow travel or specifically for climbing when you might be handling rope and tying knots?

You mention three types of gloves but the answer to keeping your hands warm is mittens. See the thread from last month on waterproof overmittens.

I would look at RBHDesigns but many other products were mentioned in that thread.

Also, did the BD gloves get wet?

And were you getting cold all over?  I ask because the first step of hypothermia is for the body to withdraw blood (and heat) from the extremities like hands, feet, ears, etc

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I recommend a pair of Nitrile gloves as your first layer, to take off only when sleeping. They act as a VBL.

My preference is Harbor Freight 9mil. Easily reusable.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I used Outdoor Research meteor mittens @ -15°F and my hands were toasty warm.  I also have the Outdoor Research Alti II Gortex Mitts, have not needed them yet but I am waiting for their time to shine.  My usual mitts though in low temperatures.. Like teens and lower for the last bunch of years have been those Meteor Mitts. I think mittens keep my hands much warmer then any glove. In fact, during my last trip 2 weeks ago in the Catskills, the low of 20° I also wore a thin pair of Zpacks fleece mittens.. While pitching and breaking down my tent,  cooking my meals and boiling water, even just casual time around camp, good dexterity for doing chores and they keep my hands warm too.  You mention temps -20°F .. That is cold.. Mittens are the way go.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Others here have a lot more extreme cold experience than me, but I like a three-layer system to mix and match, or wear all three when necessary:

1. liner glove (ex. Powerstretch)
    2. insulated mitten or thicker glove for trapping more heat (fleece, wool, leather, synthetic – something thick and warm)
    3. shell mitten for wind or exterior moisture (waterproof or waterproof-breathable)

The last time I spent significant time below zero was during a field season in Antarctica. Temps were teens down to -40ºF. For reference, here’s a picture I found online of the U.S. Antarctic Program’s standard issue extreme cold weather gear. The system I mention above is basically what you find on this wall labeled “Liner Glove Thermax” + “Liner, Mitten, Wool” + “Mitten, Wind”. Toss in a leather glove or mitten for back-up or manual work.

Wangle
    BPL Member

@wangle

@btolley I’m asking for general snow traveling.  I will take a look at that overmitt thread for sure.  Thanks for pointing that out.

The BD gloves did get a little moist when we were hiking through a sun lit area prior to the ledges.  I swapped the BD out for fleece gloves and put hand warmers in them to dry.

As far as hypothermia that’s a good catch.  We were pretty active going up so our cores were pretty hot at the time. I remember wearing the Brynje fishnet base layer and the Senchi Wren combo until my nipples were getting frozen.  Threw on the hardshell immediately.  Feet were pretty warm in the G2’s and ears were fine under the hardshell.

Wangle
    BPL Member

@wangle

@iago I’m guessing the VBL is keep the outer gloves from getting wet and losing their insulating properties?  The trade off would be wet / clammy hands the whole time right?

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

@Wangle Our hands perspire, and you are trying to keep that perspiration off of your glove system. Sweat is even more of an issue if you are using hand warmers.

Clamminess isn’t an issue for me, but I am less sensitive than others.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Recommend:

RBH DESIGNS ULTRALIGHT VAPOR MITT

https://www.rbhdesigns.com/products/ultralight-mitt

Yeti Mitts – NEWLY INTRODUCED

https://blueboltgear.com/product/yeti-mitts/

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Those Yeti mitts look great!

Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

Locale: North Carolina

Does anyone have experiance with the Yeti Mitts and to what Temperature?

I am using a liner glove plus the Black Diamond Absolute Mitt for winter snowshoe camping, while it is heavy it has performed really well.  I have the Torrid Mitts with 6oz of insulation that I need to try out on a multi-day trip as I do not have experiance below 0F with them yet.  I throw a WPB shell over either system.

Wangle
    BPL Member

@wangle

@chicagomoose Based on their website the Yeti Mitts has 170 grams per square meter of insulation which is equivalent to 5 ounce per square yard.  In theory they would not be as warm as your 6 oz Torrid Mitts.  Of course there are lots of other factors that go into the warmth of the glove.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools