Topic

Winter Gear Shakedown | Upper Midwest | Temps -20F to 20F

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Winter Gear Shakedown | Upper Midwest | Temps -20F to 20F

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

Locale: North Carolina

https://lighterpack.com/r/sey6rw

Current base weight: 18.58 lbs.

Location/temp range/specific trip description: Upper Midwest, USA. Temps range from -20F to 20F. This will be a 4 day, 3 night, 36 mile snowshoeing trip that is approximately 20% off blazed trails and in potentially deep un-compacted snow. Winds can be quite high across the lakes, >40 mph guests. Humidity remains high even below zero F temps. I have a lot of experiance in these conditions but a new route. I also have added a few new pieces of gear which added to my baseweight but should provide a more comfortable trip.

Budget: n/a (if it is a great suggestion I probably have options to switch based on gear I have or could purchase)

Non-negotiable Items: Sleep System. I want to try this sleeping bag out, I have been using two quilts for a while and want to see what I think of this system.

Solo or with another person?: with a hiking partner but fully self-sufficient.

Additional Information: Items marked as zero quantity I am still debating or waiting on weather forecast/game time decision. Limited down wood in area for fires or a place to have one following LNT, terrain complexity precludes using a pulk, I am not a hammock user, don’t take away my pillow!

Lighterpack Link: https://lighterpack.com/r/sey6rw

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

CHECK out your BPL mail box.

Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

Got your thoughts. Thanks Ken.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Not familiar with that bag- what’s the comfort rating?  How much overfill did you get?

I’d think about nixing the Torrid and and add the down parka, if it’s going to be below 0- I wouldn’t mess with my primary insulating layer.

I’d also seriously thinking about adding in mitts w/ below 0 temps, gloves typically fall short in those temps.

Have fun, not enough folks want to brave cold temps and miss out on one of the best seasons to be out imho!

Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

The comfort rating is -20C and I added 8oz of 950 fill. So it should be plenty warm.  I typically layer a 15F down quilt with a 30F apex quilt.

I will most likely bring the big parka, it is super warm. I’d be layering the torrid with the nano air. So they should be warm enough though.

Mitts are a game changer for me. Especially if you are spending any time in camp, which in the winter you are for sure.  They are on my list – was just deciding between the EE ones and the Black Diamond ones.

thanks for the thoughts!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Ahh- yeah you’ll be golden with that bag :)

With those temps I don’t think I’d trust Nano Light + Torrid vs Nano Light + down parka, always better to err on the side of safety in the winter.

I thought you were nixing mitts in favor of gloves, yeah definitely mitts.  The E&E mitts might be warmer, but if there is a chance you’ll use mitts snowshoeing, the BD ones will hold up better with the leather palms.

More folks should get out in the winter, one of the best season to backpack imho! :)

Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

I may take these gloves Showa 282 And the EE mitts. Might be the right balance. I haven’t used the Showas much, can’t wear a liner in them but they do have a fleece liner.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Hi Steve,

I hope you had the trip already?
    some thing s that I wonder about:

Lots of layers of clothing (for a 4 day trip)

Upper body:

1. mesh baselayer
    2. wool Baselayer
    3. Airmesh baselayer
    4. nano air
    5. Torrid
    6. frog togs
    7. Grade VII parka

And similar for the legs.

I would say that most of the time the following is enough:

1. 1 baselayer,
    2. 1 light insulation layer (PT Alpha Direct is my preferred, but R1 style works well too, or Nanoair if it’s on the colder side (~highs below zero F).
    3.  shell
    4. Winter down parka

Perhaps adding the EE Torrid if the chance of very low windchills is high. And that would also add a nice extra bit of insulation in camp in addition to the Grade VII parka.

Similar story for the legs.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I would not bring the Showa gloves. Their primary benefit is waterproofness and dexterity.

Their drawback is lack of layering abiliary and slow dry time.

Since you are talking about cold enough temps, that wetness is not an issue, I’d skip them.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

Showa 282-02 tip: Rip out the liner and use your own. Solves problem with drying.

The 282s layer better than the 281s because the 282s are slightly larger (after removing the liner). I can wear two layers of liner in mine.

My only beef with Showas is that they are bulky to pack. Thin shell mittens are more compact.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

At 8.1 ounces ( with book of matches ) its not ultralight but for winter freezing conditions where you know fire is unlikely,  that 8.1 ounces pretty much guarantees you one, plus minimal heat, plus lighting, plus comforting Plus LEAVE NO TRACE.. and no hard work, time or effort!! For me it has become standard.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools