Topic

Winter Gear PSA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter Gear PSA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Looking at the current prices of snowshoes and other winter gear, it appears that most things are still in stock and are priced fairly.   Based on how crazy things were this summer, if you had any plans to indulge in some winter gear acquisition syndrome, I’d jump on it now before the insanity moves to that market.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Things are mostly in stock NOW and selling at MSRP.  Ian, I think your 2nd sentence is the one folks might want to take to heart.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I think the bar is too high for most people to get into the backcountry in the snow. However, I suspect that stoves are going to be difficult to find. You already can’t find canisters. My guess is that the Whisperlite will be in a lot of demand.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

“I think the bar is too high for most people to get into the backcountry in the snow.”

Perhaps for multi-day trips but snowshoeing and nordic skiing as a single-day event is pretty popular most years.  I gave up on trying to predict human behavior during a pandemic once people started hoarding toilet paper.

I was pretty good shape other than some overboots which have been paid for and will allegedly arrive this weekend.

I networked with another BPLer and was able to score some isobutane canisters for him.  I purposely used the word “score” in that last sentence because the idea of hikers making back-alley deals on isobutane makes me giggle.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

“Ian, I think your 2nd sentence is the one folks might want to take to heart.”

I wouldn’t mind being wrong here but I’ve been burned a few times this year.  A specific car camping tent and inflatable kayak doubled in price this summer.  They can stuff it.  I’ll wait them out.

We got lucky with our bikes from REI and sold off our old ones for non-covid fair market value.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools