Topic

Winter camping with a mid questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter camping with a mid questions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

I have a Locus Gear Khufu mid and I’m going backpacking in the Sierras in 2 weeks. If it’s windy I typically pitch it flush to the ground but a little wind still gets in.

Not a big deal in summer but what can I do to prevent snow from blowing in? I’m new to winter camping. Build a small berm around the perimeter? Thanks

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I’m not a mid user, but if there is enough snow and it’s the right consistency you can create berms or even walls as tall as you want.  Think of it like an igloo with the mid as the roof.

You can also dig out an entryway that is lower than your sleeping shelf.  It’s nice to stand in the entryway, blocked from the wind to take off the snow gear, before climbing up into your bed.

You can also shape a snow kitchen to block the wind while cooking.

Ulterior motive to all this digging and shaping is to keep you active until you are ready to climb into the shelter and inside your bed. I’m not sure how leave-no-trace applies.  It would be another round of exercise to knock down the walls and fill in the holes.

I’ll be interested to hear what other people do, expecially with UL shelters like a Mid.

Have a great time in the Sierra.  Where are you hiking?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools