Topic

Winter Camping in the Catskills

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Winter Camping in the Catskills

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Finally saw a favorable forcast with cold temperatures, wind and snow/ice accumulations for the Catskills. Decided to head up on Sunday morning before the storm hit.. hike in a couple of miles and climb up to a spot I have hiked past before.. slabs of granite with excellent views, an exposed area that was sure to get hit with the snow and wind, but would promise to have beautiful views on a sunny Tuesday morning after the snow passed and covered the Catskills in fresh white powder. It would also have been a great snow shoe down the mountain breaking trail all the way. A friend had decided to join me, no stranger to winter camping.. off we went. It turns out he did not bring a 4 season tent and as we climbed up to the “spot” his first words were.. “oh snap, it looks like the tundra up here”. Totally exposed slabs of granite covered in ice and white powder, with minimal small shrubs scattered around, covered in layers of thick ice. I knew right then and there we would NOT be camping up here, as the wind was howling from all directions. We did scout the area, but decided we would hike back down just below where we were, as we did pass thru a beautiful pine forest before we went up, and I made note as we passed it, if we cant find a suitable spot at the top, we can come back down here and camp in the pines. So we did.. we ended up finding a nice spot to camp off trail deep in the pine forest. There was plenty of cover and protection from the elements. I even wondered if we would get any snow accumulations tucked under those tall thick pines, lol. We made camp and sure enough it did start to snow. Thankfully I carried my MSR hammer because everything was frozen solid and there was no way to get any stakes into the ice, or even get a rock. Just frozen solid, so that hammer made quick work, especially for his trekking pole tent he was using, as my BD Highlight 2 was free standing, but i did use my guy lines in case the wind did hit. Overnight it did snow and get windy with some nice gusts.. but you could hear the constant blowing of fierce winds above us at the top of mountain all night long! There was no chance his tent would have made it through that, so we made the right decision. My only mistake was not pitching the vestibule on the Highlight as i planned to keep the massive side door open, at least half way, with the mesh screen closed throughout the night. When we set up camp in the pines, I actually said “if i knew we were camping in here, I would have brought just my tarp and bivy”. Well by the next morning, I was happy i brought the tent because it was windy all night and it did snow and sleet about 5 inches and temperatures dipped to low 20°F.. My luck.. the wind was whipping the snow directly into the entrance of my tent, so I had to keep the door 3/4 closed with the screen fully zipped. Every time i got in and out.. the snow blew inside. That was fine, i had my 15° synthetic quilt inside my eVent bivy in the tent, so i was ok with some snow in there.. heck it is winter camping in a snow storm and I usually use a tarp and bivy anyway, so im used to this. So I woke up in the morning and the space between the 3/4 door closed and the mesh down to floor was completely filled with snow! Ughh.. this could get messy so I had to carefully open the mesh and then the door and force the snow out and not in! It worked out ok.. but it was still breezy and snowing, so I decided to attach the vestibule. What a difference that makes. So much more room and no more snow blowing in upon entry and exit. The only downside of using the vestibule, well 2 downsides is my massive view was taken away, which did not matter this point with the wind and snow blowing that direction, and getting in and out through the vestibule door was smaller and needed me to really crouch to my knees and crawl in and out, and there happened to be a tree right there near the entrance! Whatever.. it worked and it made such a pleasant experience to be inside the tent for the next day and a half. Unfortunately there was not enough snow accumulations to snow shoe out, with all the big rocks still exposed in the trail and just not enough snow.. we hiked out breaking trail without them, ughh.. well not without them as we did have to carry them on our backs, again! All in all it was a fun trip and first tatse of snow for this season. Hopefully next time the weather takes a turn for the worse and I get to put that tent to the test! Overall I have to say, it did well for those minor conditions. Inside I could barely tell it was windy at all, it kept me safe from wind and dry and comfortable for 2 nights. There was frost in the inside walls, which i believe is unavoidable in those conditions in a single wall “bivy” style tent, and I expect that to happen so I am prepared for it and deal with it.. embrace the frost! It pitches easy, abeit sort of a pain..but really its easy if you take the time and have a plan. I will say it breaks down so simple and fast which i really loved in the morning @ 20°F with some breeze. If i was spending more then 2 or 3 days, I would prefer more room so I am considering the 3P version. I used my Windburner stove and i brought the larger 1.8 liter pot anticipating melting snow and ice for water, but since we were camping at the lower elevation we found a small steam and was able to get slush from that.. with snow. The Windburner is flawless as always for me, but in reality I could have gotten away with the smaller 1L pot for it. I do show it in the video for anyone interested.. It was a great time, as always, it fun to be out there no matter the weather as long as you are prepared for it..

YouTube video

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Nice stove stand :)

Thank you for taking the time to make the video report.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Awesome right? Thanks @Ryan Jordan for that simple yet so affective idea. Dual purpose too, as seen in video.. I keep my candle on it while burning.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Also, above.. The 6 picture down..

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I like the soft glow from a trad candle lantern. Not gas, not LED, but candle.
    Cheers

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yup.. legit candle glow.. soothing

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

Thanks for taking the time to share you video and insights.

Hope W

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Hopearotie.. You are most welcome!

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Thanks dirtbag, glad you had a good trip! Can you share more about the candle? I mean I know how candles work, and know they output heat, but what kind do you bring, and is the 1/4 of exposed mesh windows in your tent enough to vent?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Chris K the candle is a coghlans 36 hour emergency candle. I love it! Definitely recommend it 100%. The 1/4 exposed mesh was ok to vent. Unless the door was half open and back window half/ possibly full open.. In those temperatures in the Northeast.. You are gonna get condensation. It actually just frosted the inner walls, so no drips or water or anything like that. Occasionally some “snow” would fall inside the tent if I initiated it.. But not even the wind would cause it, so not a problem.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Years ago REI sold a ~1 ounce fully enclosed candle holder. I used it for a season in summer and spring, outdoors, attached to a stick or a hiking pole…I forget which. It provided the kind of soft glow that one likes while sitting around at night. I’d use it when the weather was warm enough that I didn’t need a fire. The candle didn’t emit the smoke that a fire does: good!  More, it wasn’t so bright that my eyes needed ten minutes or more when looking away to have the night sky emerge when the eyes adjust. Somehow the candle holder disappeared and I never sought out another. Who knows why?

A candle in a tent does provide warmth, but they’re finicky and easy to upset and spill wax.

Nice report on your trip! Good to see that your tent held up over two nights, and very well from the looks of your pictures. Yeah, in winter, bring the tent for sure!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thanks! Well it better have held up on those conditions!! Lol. It was only low of 20°F, with 5 inches of snow and some mild wind, with some decent gusts.. and we were burried deep in the pines! I do plan on trying the 3P Hilight as I did really like everything about the 2P.. but that 82 inches length was just enough room to be snug, where the 3P goes to 86 and adds a little more width and height.. which I think would be really comfortable for extended time in there. The vestibule is a sweet extension too.. I really was happy after I put that on. The other thing enticing about the 3p is that both sides open up completely.. no wind/snow blowing and it will be nice to have wide open sides like that!

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

Brings back memories of solo winter hiking in the Catskills…17 years ago. Used a BD Lighthouse, the original version made in EPIC. Didn’t see another living creature over five days. Your landscape photos capture the soft colors and winter silence well.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thankyou! Winter is a special time of year to be out there.. no doubt!0

Lycopodium
    BPL Member

@grapefruit

Thank you for posting your trip report and video. Can you say more about the yellow square pad you are using under the candle and stove? I see where you say it’s painted hobby wood with insulation tape and bungees. What kind of insulation tape did you use?

I’ve been looking for a heat-proof surface to use an alcohol or small wood-burning stove on. I like your creative solution and that you also can use a candle on it.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Its just black foam insulation tape,  have it laying around at work. A piece of carbon felt might work for you. I have something at work that is heat/flame proof.. Its like a gold color sticker. I used it on my base for my MSR XGK gas stove. I ordered it from McMaster. I will take a picture of it tomorrow to show you what it is.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@ Kris G..  Here is what I was talking about.  I did not use it on that base.. But I did use it on my MSR XGK winter stove base.. 

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

There it is, that gold circle. I put it on top of a welders carbon felt.. Works perfectly..

Lycopodium
    BPL Member

@grapefruit

@dirtbag

Thank you so much for posting these tips on heat-resistant materials. I will definitely look for these. Much appreciated!

P.S. Looks like a really useful stove setup with the bungees and drink cozy(?) to hold the liquid fuel canister in one place. Thank you for sharing it here.

P.P.S. I’m Kris. Just figured out how to change my forum name.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Ahaha.. gotcha. Thought i said it to wrong person..

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

https://youtu.be/YsVy62fwYH8

Short clip of it in action.. cut from my trip video..

Lycopodium
    BPL Member

@grapefruit

Thanks again!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I finally got around to watching your video and, like all of your others, really enjoyed it.  You mention in the video that you basically hung out in your tent all day while the storm blew.  I understand that was your goal, but what did you do to keep yourself occupied all day?

I’ve thought about doing the same thing – Hike in a few miles, set up camp, and enjoy the winter.  I’ve considered buying a hot tent and stove from Luxe Hiking Gear – they’re not lightweight, but for my intended use it wouldn’t be a big deal to carry a couple of extra pounds.  As someone who normally sleeps in a hammock, a hammock hot tent is appealing as well.  I just don’t think that design would be very good if you were getting more than a dusting of snow, but there are others out there.  In addition to providing heat and a cooking surface, the stove would give me something to do as I hunker down…

Thanks again for posting!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Kevin.. well slept in untill about 10:30 am.. When I i say hung out in my tent all day, i did go out a bit, locally. I went out and set up the vestibule.. at some point towards late afternoon/early evening.. the wind and snow stopped, so we did mess around and make a small fire. That definitely takes a lot of time and effort, gives you something to do, move around and get blood flowing and warmed up. I am always so busy every day.. hustling to and from work and the gym.. house chores, family chores, rides all over for the kids.. always something going on.. so for me to lay and relax or sit and relax.. in my tent listening to the snow pitter patter on the outside… well honestly, I could do absolutely nothing and not talk to anyone or see anyone for several days.. just enjoy my alone time and every once in a while step out there and walk around my camp site.. man, its all I need, im a simple kind of guy!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools