Topic

Winter Bike Tire Recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Winter Bike Tire Recommendation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

Looking to stay on the bike this winter as much as possible.

I have a hardtail with 27.5+ wheels and a gravel bike with clearance for 45 rear/60+ front. Both tubeless.

I ride MTB on trails, ag roads (clay soil and gravel), and sand. Not sure how my nobby nics are going to handle snow and slush. I do not expect fatbike float, but trying to get the most out of 3″ tires.

Gravel bike is mostly road and packed trails. I love my hutchinson sector 28, but have not tested them in winter yet. Slush and ice are unavoidable, so i have been looking at some studded tires, but never used them before.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Not concerned about weight…just keeping me upright and moving forward.

thanks

Brian B
    BPL Member

@brianb

Locale: Alaska

Not sure where you’re riding.  Studs are only useful on ice. They’re heavy, will slow you way down and need to be replaced periodically. If you don’t need to stop or turn, you can get away without studs — something like micro-spikes come in handy then, however, so you can throw a foot down.  If you will be on ice, then, yes, you’ll benefit from studs.

I can’t give you a specific recommendation b/c my household is on 700/29″ wheels (for others, I recently switched to 45NRTH Nicotine and really like them if you can’t fit anything wider). I’ve used Nokian Suomi and they do stick nicely on ice when new and will keep the bike from sliding out from under you when old (I believe they make it in 27.5); the float is bad though (too much stud, too little casing) and they’re heavy but if that’s not a concern, they could work.

Fun fact:  two winters ago when we really didn’t get a winter, I slid about 30 feet trying to stop just short of traffic with tire studs and boot studs — a slow motion nightmare.

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

Peter White Cycles has a large selection of studded tires with very good descriptions of their strengths and weaknesses. A mix of off road and commuting tires, you might find some ideas there.

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

I had Kenda Klondike 42s on a Surly Ogre, Kona Rove, and Krampus for commuting in SE Alaska (temps around freezing, usually fresh precipitation in various forms). They are heavy tires, as far as that size goes, but my commute is short and switching to a more ‘premium’ tire didn’t save that much weight since the studs are going to be weighing it down no matter what. They’re a good place to start as they’re often very cheap. My friend has the 45NRTH 29er tires; I’m not sure if there’s a 27.5 variant but he likes them ok on 45mm rims for winter commuting in Alaska. I think cross tires are fine in our conditions because they cut down through the slush or brown sugar snow to grip the road beneath,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools