Topic

Wind River Range

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Wind River Range

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@mkoons

This will be our first time in the Winds. Start trip August 22 for an 8 day exploration. Plan to do a circular route which will include Titcomb basin.  Wondering what bug situation will be like during this time of year?  Also any suggestions are welcome.  I have a basic idea of the route I want to do but not set on it. Thanks

dreamer
    BPL Member

@ejcfree

Bugs should be minimal to nonexistent around then. You could go out the Pole Creek Trail and over Wall/Island Pass then into Titcomb and over Knapsack Col. Also check Indian Basin and maybe scramble to the summit of Fremont Peak.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

No bugs at that point in the year.    You can go over Knapsack as dreamer mentioned – I’ve been over it a couple of times in both directions.  It’s class 3 (ish) but pretty straight forward.

If you have 8 days have you thought about the Wind River High Route?   Assuming your comfortable with off trail travel.

I’ll be in WRR the end of August as well.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

How about some variation of the mid sections of the high routes (Dixon, Skurka and Pallister) from the Cirque to Titcomb. Greatest hits!

Note that something like this would entail a shuttle but they are easy to arrange and reasonable and usually helpful and informative.

Note that camping requirements @ Titcomb are generally being enforced and  require separation of like 200 feet from both trails and lake shores and 100 feet from streams. Technically this is in effect everywhere but off-trail eliminates the biggest limitation. You’d be surprised how difficult it can be to maintain the required separation from both and find a usable spot given the terrain and that trails are in the valleys along with the water. There’s a lot of people in the T basin and I think they’re trying to get a tent around the circus.

“Campsites must be located at least 200 feet away from a lake shore or forest service system trail and 100 feet away from streams, creeks or springs. The maximum length of stay by any individual or group is 16 days at one site.”

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

What is your comfort level for daily mileage and elevation gain?  I am assuming you are going in at Elkhart?

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Recently I have heard twice from hikers that there were rangers in Titcomb and Island Lake issuing tickets.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

^^ right.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@mkoons

Thanks everyone for the information. Actually going to start at green river lake trailhead. My Gf is going with me so planning on staying mostly on trail with exception of knapsack.  Based on titcomb rules, might try to walk through vs camp there now.  Just need to adjust for distance in that area.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Indian Basin is a nice area to camp if you want to avoid the crowds at Island Lake and Titcomb Basin.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

If you turn off the main trail onto the the Indian Creek/Pass trail @ 1/2 – 1/3 mile up there’s a gap on the right that goes over to the Wall-Island Pass valley. There’s lotsa spots up there and you might just go “off-trail” and hike out via Wall Lake/Cook Lakes on the Pole Creek trail. Good scenery and not so many ups and downs. I can get precise. If you are interested give me a PM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools