Topic

Wind River Indian Reservation Roadless Area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Wind River Indian Reservation Roadless Area

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

For this year’s Wind River trip I’m thinking of doing Palister’s Scenic tour of Wind River Indian Reservation Roadless Area. It’s trip #24 in her book. Has anyone done it? Anything special to know about going into the Roadless Area? I’ll be getting a week long fishing permit for access. Looks like it’s not much difference in price between that and a week long WY non-resident license. As usual, I’ll be taking my dog. I haven’t seen anything to indicate that’s a problem. She doesn’t rate anything harder than PG (her rating) for the off-trail parts. Any tricky sections? He’s fine on talus but with no opposable thumbs,  climbing with hands is out of the question. :) Thanks.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Actually, Marked Tree Lake outlet is rated PG/R. Not sure what that mean. Maybe depending on snow/runoff? And Europe Col is rated R. Anyone been over that?

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I don’t have too much to add, other than  I went there 8 or 9 years ago and and it was wonderful. :)  I will say that the “trails” were more like social trails. Have some good maps and possibly a GPS.

aag

Twilight near Sonnicant Lake

abc

abe

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Thanks Paul. It’s sounding better and better! My only concern is getting Buddy over Europe Col. I’ve gotten him through some gnarly stuff for short stretches before but don’t want to find myself having to backtrack a long ways, although that’s always a possibility, if I can’t get him through it. I may just modify the route if don’t get any concrete info on it.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Anyone been here lately?  How are the roads to the trailheads?  It seems that few people hike there.  Nancy’s book suggests bear canisters, something she does not recommend on the west side of the Winds.  Any issues with cars left at trailheads, since it seems to be very remote?  Other thoughts?

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Europe Col wasn’t bad at all.  It’s been a while but the trails have little to no maintenance but if your navigation skills are decent you’ll be fine.   You’ll be rewarded with solitude and more wildlife than the western side for sure.   I really like the reservation side and plan on spending more time there in the future.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

When I was there in 2013 locals reported grizzlies were expanding their range to the south. I think you are still on the fringes but I would be aware.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

On the original trip we were going to do in 2016. I ended up bailing after the first night due to illness. Went back again to the same area, St. Lawrence Ranger Station TH, in mid-August 2018 with a different plan. Stayed in The Meadows the first night. Tried to go down to Twin Lakes on signed trail that’s not on maps. Trail was obvious. About 50′ above Twin Lakes the downfall got so thick I couldn’t find a way through. Backtracked up to trail the trail to Raft Lake. Had to turn around after .5 mile. Went back up to the Meadows and then down along Entigo Creek on another signed trail not on the map. Good going until just past Movo Lake. Should have camped there and fished. After that we averaged about .5 MPH crawling over and under downed trees until we got to Sonnicant Lake. My dog learned the “under” command that day as there were really big trees down. The main trail back north was well maintained, as was the trail in from the trailhead to Wilson Lakes.

No problem at the trailhead. Gorgeous area.  We didn’t see anyone on the trip except for between the TH and The Meadows. A bit of a fluke I’d guess as the Wilson Lakes area is supposed to be popular. We didn’t end up going to the Wilson Lakes as we were out of time. I think that was the first trip that I carried bear spray on. Which I’ve done on the following 2 trips over on the west side. My thinking was that since grizzlies are now known to be in the entire range, and in the HIGHLY unlikely event we encountered one, my dog wasn’t going to play dead if one charged us, so I started carrying it. Now that he’s gone, I’m not sure If I will carry it or not in the future. To be fair, I’m not even sure how much I want to go back without him. I’m going in August to spread his ashes but after that who knows?

I’d certainly recommend going there as long as you have the mindset that it could be hard work. Personally, I think working through downfall is a LOT of work.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Paul, you photos are enticing. John, that is what I am looking for.  Things have changed in the Winds, for sure.  I did spend some difficult time last year in downfall in the Winds.  Absolutely no fun. And getting worse with the fall storm and the bark beetle. I suspect there is little maintenance on the reservation.  The guides help the NFS on the west side.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

That downfall last year was crazy!   I was camped just below Shannon pass on the south side at 11,800 due the big storm rolling in.  65f that Monday afternoon and 12f that night.  Amazed I wasn’t blown off the mountain.  Getting out to Elkhart trailhead was very memorable to say the least.   I go to the winds every fall and have for 29 years.  One of my favorite ranges.    Things have changed over the years and the reservation offers more of what I am looking for.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

John, do you have any idea of how to get updated info on the downfall on the res trails?  While I really want to go there, I do not want to do miles of climbing over deadfall.  Been there, done that.  No fun.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

The best resources are likely to be those going there.  With the wind storm occurring last Labor Day night, I wouldn’t imagine much has been done to clear areas.  Trails used by hunters may have seen some work since most are on horses.

The best info will likely come from early spring and summer backpackers.  The Outdoor shop in Pinedale should have some pretty good intel as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools