Topic

Wind River High Route (Gear List)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Wind River High Route (Gear List)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

Heading out to do the WRHR (Alan/Dixon route) in mid August with a buddy.

Here’s what I’m looking like right now: https://lighterpack.com/r/88ctue

Let me know if anything jumps out at you.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I did this a couple of years ago.  I did not carry microspikes but wished I had for every second I was on Knifepoint Glacier.  Then again, we both made it across fine, but slowly.

We did take an Ursak.  I was glad to have it.  Some places were almost impossible to hang, and it made food storage easier.

We went Labor day weekend and had a blizzard.  I’d be prepared for it.  And have fun.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I didn’t take anything different from my usual trips to the Winds. I too would have liked some type of traction device for my shoes but made do.

I did the Skurka route more or less this last time but have done the Dixon route several times over the past 25 years before the WRHR was a “thing”.

Just check the weather forecast before heading out and plan accordingly. The only really exposed area is from Indian pass to the first alpine lake, after that it’s pretty typical alpine tundra.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

John,

I know you are a fan of Katabatic quilts from past posts. Out of curiosity which quilt do you typically take up high in the WRR in the summer?

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I used a Chisos wide with 2oz overfill combined with a down vest, lightweight Capilene, and wind top and bottom for the coldest nights for my last HR trip. It worked great down into the 20s sleeping on an x-therm pad combined with a down balaclava.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’m doing the WRHR in September (and yes I am worried about it being late in the year – that’s just when I could get away) and that is a very light list. I have done most of the WRHR before through various loops, all in late August. I am taking microspikes for Knifepoint Glacier – I didn’t use them when I was there in 2012 but wished I did. It was pretty scary then and I more adverse to risk than I was 5 years ago. I crossed several glaciers in Alaska last summer and sometimes I used spikes, and sometimes I didn’t. I guess it depends on the time of day, the slope of the glacier, and how much grit is on top of the ice.

It snowed nearly a foot on me late August in WRR one year so it can happen. It did melt off pretty quick but it wouldn’t have to – we just got lucky.

I have also had a lot of nights in the mid to low 20’s in August so I would be prepared for 20*F at least – it looks like you are if you plan on wearing all your clothes to bed.

I might take a light pair of Rain Pants instead of the wind pants, but you may be fine without them. One of the coldest times I have ever been was crossing Lizard Head Plateau in whiteout conditions in August 2014. There was one hiker in front of us, who turned around and said it was in-passable, but I went on anyways. I guess he turned around because he couldn’t see, but I just kept heading south and made it through no problems. The wind was absolutely howling though and it was snowing like crazy. Funny enough, there was no snow down at Lonesome Lake.

I have hung there a couple of times, but the last two times to WRR I took a canister because I didn’t like having to try to find a place to hang after hiking all day. This year I am planning on taking an Ursack. You can hang but it does take some looking for a boulder to hang from.

Overall a good, very light list. Have fun and post about your trip when you return.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools