Topic

Wind River High Route failure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Wind River High Route failure

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

Companion forum thread to: Wind River High Route failure

This will be a very short trip report but I wanted to share a bad experience I had due to poor planning.

Attempted Skurka’s wind river high route. A lot of people do it in under a week. We tried to do it in 9 days just in case we struggled with the miles, elevation, and off trail navigation. We both were in reasonably good shape…

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Sorry to hear about the altitude sickness problems. It can be really miserable. Hopefully you will have better luck next time. Instead of adding multiple short days at the beginning of the backpacking trip to acclimate, and having to carry extra food and fuel, you could alternatively spend a few days sightseeing at more modest elevations. Relax, check out some scenery, do a little fishing, find a flattish day-hike.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Another acclimatization option is to spend a night at the trailhead.  Both Green River Lakes and Big Sandy have designated camping spots, and i’ve seen people camp off the side of the road approaching Big Sandy.  There’s also accommodations at the Big Sandy Lodge in-season.

I feel for ya. I’ve had terrible luck with my WRR group backpacking trips due to AMS, thunderstorms, etc.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!