Topic

Wind River-Bonneville Basin area climbing Advice (Raid, Pronghorn, Nylon )?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Wind River-Bonneville Basin area climbing Advice (Raid, Pronghorn, Nylon )?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Hi.  Does anyone have any experience or information on climbing Raid Peak, Pronghorn Peak, Nylon, and Sentry Peak or can you recommend other scrambles along my route that fit my criteria ?   I would like to do some fun scrambles that don’t “require” too much gear and for me that means:

1. Great views.

2. Class 2-3 scrambling (some class 4 is fine), but I’d like to avoid stuff above class 4, since it is likely that I’ll be alone and I do not want to have to bring too much gear.  

I’ll be bringing my helmet, ice axe, and possibly microspikes.   It looks like the summit block of Nylon may be class 5, so it is likely to be eliminated.

I plan on doing a 7-10 day loop in July by starting at Scab Creek trailhead to Raid Lake, to Bonneville Basin, between Pronghorn and Sentry Peak to Lee Lake, to Middle Fork Lake, off trail to Rainbow Lake, and then back to the trailhead by passing Dream Lake.  I obviously could do this faster, but I hope to spend several days scrambling and/or fishing.  My 2 base camps will likely be around Lower or Middle Bonneville Lake (Lake 10,828)  and Lee Lake because they put me close to interesting looking scrambles and beautiful scenery. I am looking at climbing Raid Peak and Pronghorn Peak from my Bonneville Basin base Camp and Nylon and Sentry Peak from a Lee Lake area base camp.  On the internet, I can’t find much information on scrambling and climbs in this area.  I do have Kelseys climbing guide, but his information on these peaks are very sparse.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools