Topic

Wind River Backpacking trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Wind River Backpacking trip

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

I’ve had Wind River backpacking trip on my list for quite a while, it sounds so amazing and I really would love to make it happen this year.   I’m hoping to find a group or few people to go with.  So far I have found one group that is going in August 2019…this group does include carrying shared equipment and I might say quite heavy stuff(kitchen/tent/food).  My question is how can I find a group or several people who can go *without* shared equipment, is it possible? Any suggestions would be wonderful.  Note: I would not attempt this on my own as I know this is grizzly bear area.

I really like my setup and I like the weight I’m at right now, it works well for me…adding on this major weight from the group sounds too stressful and maybe too much for my pack and I’m looking for some ideas.  Please let me know if you have a suggestion for small groups that goes into this amazing area to backpack.

Thanks so much!

Pam

[email protected]

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

The last thing I’d want to do is discourage someone from taking the safety-in-numbers approach in grizzly country.   It’s by far the most reliable way to stay safe.

But there are very few grizzlies in the Winds.  On-trail in high season in the popular areas – Cirque, Titcomb – there are so many people around that the chance of encountering a grizzly is virtually zero.   If you’re comfortable hiking elsewhere as a solo female, I wouldn’t hesitate to hike in these areas too.

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

Thanks Ralph for posting, I appreciate your thoughts.  Yes, I was thinking exactly along the lines of safety in numbers.  I do backpack solo on occasion but mainly hike with either my 13yr old son or a friend.   Unfortunately, my friend that I hike with would not consider going.  So…I would prefer a group with few people, hopefully experienced in this type of environment.  I don’t want to miss a chance of experiencing this because of my fear.  I don’t mind paying for a guide but would like it to be in line with lightweight backpacking, most everything I’ve found is shared heavy equipment.  I’ll take a look at the area you mentioned closer.  Thanks again!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

How many miles per day do you like/do in such terrain? What’s your pace? Campfire or non-campfire person? Chatty or more quiet? Flexible schedule or no? One other person okay or two or more? Prefer an age range or don’t really care? Etc.

If you’re hoping to find someone via BPL knowing these things and such could be helpful.

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

Doug those are really good questions.  I can see why they would be important.

I like to hike anywhere from 12-18 miles depending on the elevation.  I did the TMB in 8 days with my boys this summer and just got back from the Wonderland solo 8days. I’m backpacking in SC next month with a few ladies 80ish miles in 6 days.  I don’t mind a campfire but wouldn’t have one if I were on my own.  I’m pretty flexible…I like hiking on my own at time but welcome a conversation anytime.   Age isn’t a factor for me.  I guess I’d prefer at least 2 others to hike with but would consider one if I/we felt comfortable and it worked out.

I’m keeping optimistic that someone knows of a guide that may operate with small groups that would allow you to carry your own gear.  Just though I’d throw that out there again.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I went out there and met up with some CDT thru-hikers to hike with them. I thought that I had missed them so I was prepared to hike alone. I drove for three days to get there no way was I going to just go home. Long story short, I didn’t miss them after all and spent a nice 5 days hiking with them and somehow managed to keep up with their long hard days. It was beautiful and there were tons of people so I wouldn’t have really been all that alone. I didn’t feel like there was a big bear problem. It didn’t seem the same as Glacier where we would hike long stretches in tall overgrown berry bushes where bears could be hiding right around the corner. The landscape was more open than that in the Winds. I hope you find someone to go with you, but if you can’t, I don’t think you’d feel unsafe hiking with your 13-year-old son.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

if you are looking at the Cirque or Titcomb, you will not be alone. No worries.  I heard they are putting traffic lights on the trail to Titcomb. Seriously, if you are going alone and stay on the trails around and between Green River, Big Sandy, and Elkhart, or on the CDT section, there are no worries about being alone.  I have been hiking the winds for years and have only seen the back end of black bears running away. I hike with people who chatter a lot, however.   But, as the crowds increase in the high usage area, I am just waiting for bear-human interactions to increase.  Only this past year was mandatory bear food hanging storage put in place.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Was there solo for 3 weeks late summer ‘89.  Saw black, but no brown bear.  Amazing terrain, definitely go.  Staged out of Pinedale, if the outdoor store is still there — good people and can shuttle you.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The Great Outdoor Shop is still there, but they no longer shuttle.  A spinn off ?? outfit Great Outdoor Transportation Company can shuttle you.   You can find them on Facebook or Google.  Good people and easy to work with.

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

I’m also planning a late summer hike into the Winds. I have been struggling with the solo or invite others situation as well.  I’m planning on hiking the WRHR, but slowing down to enjoy fishing many of the lakes along the way.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Did it last fall, and it was amazing.  Kate at GOTCO is great for a shuttle.  Pinedale is a really neat town too, try to spend a day there.

Sounds like you’ve hiked at elevation before, but don’t underestimate getting acclimatized.  I drove 29 hours straight from home at 600 ft.  Lester and Hat Passes nearly destroyed me.

Also, pack a rod if you like to fish.  I got just a taste of it one day courtesy of some fellow hikers, and the fishing was amazing…..and so was the subsequent dinner :)

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

Steve S and Five Star thank you for your response!

Update!  I’ve made plans to go to the Winds this year and I’m so excited.  I appreciate all your responses.  The good news is that I’m not having to share heavy group gear, I’m very excited about that.

Pam

Ellen T.
    BPL Member

@ellent

Locale: Bay Area

Any chance you guys are interested in going again this year :) ?

I’m planning on flying in to Jackson Hole 8/28 and shuttling to Green River Lakes trailhead to do the 80-mi Wind River High Route in 6-7 days, shuttling back to the airport on 9/5. Hoping to build up a group to hike with and split the shuttle.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Smoky up there… google “smoke map”

DWR…

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

I would be very much interested in going.  Let’s discuss some details. Thanks !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools