Topic

Wind pants for hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Dominguez
    BPL Member

@idtejera

Locale: Canary Islands

Hello, for many years I used the Montane Featherlite Pants for backpacking and packrafting, made of Pertex Microlight, they offered me the necessary resistance + comfort for days. In addition, the zipper on the legs helped to evacuate the water to cross the rivers. I preferred to walk with shorts and combine them with windbreaker pants and Base Layer Leggings, as needed. Currently, Montane is no longer manufactured by Featherlite Pants. Do you have any recommendations?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I’ve been using Montbell Dynamo pants for several years and have been happy with them.

Ivan Dominguez
    BPL Member

@idtejera

Thanks Nick. Do you consider them comfortable for long walks?

Cheers

Ivan

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

Patagonia Houdini Pants!  Surprisingly warm, very light (sub 4 oz.), dry in no time, and very packable (underrated quality).  If it’s raining or cold, I’ll hike 30 miles/day in them.  I did hem them up to better fit my leg length and avoid bothersome pooling at the ankle cuff.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Back in 2008 I bought a Montbell UL wind shirt and pants. They were not breathable.

The Dynamo wind pants are very breathable. My size M weight 2.75 ounces. Plus you can usually buy them for a lot less than Patagonia.

If the new Houdini wind pants are made from the same material as the newer wind shirts, then I would be cautious. I have a pre-2012 Houdini wind shirt and it is very breathable. I have a 2013 wind shirt (I bought it to keep in my camper), and it is significantly less breathable.

For the record, I am a Patagonia advocate for their technical clothing. I have several different weights of Capilene and Fleece products, a Down Sweater, Baggies, balaclava, and other items. Been using their products since the ’80s.

Lyle G
    Spectator

@s0rce

I’ve got a pair of Montbell U.L. Stretch Wind Pants from 2017 ordered from Montbell Japan. They aren’t as breathable as my Arcteryx Squamish windshirt, but I’ve worn them for a hot backpacking trip in the big sur backcountry where I stupidly under estimated the amount of ticks, poison oak and brush and wore running shorts. Ended up wearing the windpants almost the whole trip, they got one small tear from some bushwhacking through manzanita but otherwise did well. I’ve since gone to pants full time so they don’t get as much use. I’m not sure how they compare to the US Dynamo pants but they didn’t sell Women’s wind pants and I wanted to get a pair for my wife as well so I ordered these from Japan. Pretty happy with them overall.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I also like the Mont-Bell Dynamo wind pants – mine are at least 5-6 years old so I’m assuming that the new models are the same.  My only complaint when wearing them in pants is that they are black, and if it’s warm and I’m in the sun, I don’t like dark colored clothing.  If you think I lighter color may be of interest to you, the Enlightened Equipment Copperfield wind pants come in a variety of colors, though I have no experience with the material.

Ivan Dominguez
    BPL Member

@idtejera

Good advices!! Very useful, I was interested to know the experience walking with different models of wind pants. Thank you. I will study them in detail.

Best wishes

Iván

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

I am sure all the aforementioned wind pants are awesome.  But if you are on a budget, and not inclined to just sew your own, do a web search for nylon dance pants.  I got mine for about $15 a couple of years ago.  Women’s medium weighs 3.4 oz on my postage scale.  When my hiking skirt and base layer wool bottoms are not enough for the wind and cold (I chill easily) these nylon pants worked perfectly, even in brush and climbing over blowdowns that would have shredded my FroggToggs.

Ivan Dominguez
    BPL Member

@idtejera

Thank you very much Mina, I did not know this type of pants, it is a simple and cheap solution. I think the type of pants we like to wear during backpacking is very personal and each person has their own experience. The options that you have recommended are all very good, thanks a million.

Cheers

Ivan

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

No zips (perhaps a custom option?) but have you looked at Astucas Millaris Trousers from Spain?

Ivan Dominguez
    BPL Member

@idtejera

Thanks William. Yes, I know Marco de As Tucas, I live in Spain, a custom Millaris Pants is one of my best options, I think the fabric is soft but I don’t know if they will be comfortable for long walks.

Edward K
    BPL Member

@allenk

Thanks Mina for the recommendation.

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

I just use my rain pants. I’m gonna bring them anyway.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools