Topic

Wind jacket as bug/sun protection?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wind jacket as bug/sun protection?

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I’ve used the white Montbell wind shirt. It works pretty good. Nothing is perfect. Part of the problem is that no one actually makes a really lightweight bug shirt — other than ones with chemicals on them. If I was willing to apply chemicals, I would just wear a T-Shirt, and apply away. What they do make, though, is wind shirts and sun shirts. I’ve never been bit through a windshirt. I’m sure they can bite through a sun shirt. Right now I use the Montbell wind shirt, along with a bug net, bug mitts, wind pants and gators. When lounging around I also use bug slippers. Things can get a bit clammy, but not that bad. My wind pants are black (I sure wish Montbell made wind pants in white).

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

My wind pants are black (I sure wish Montbell made wind pants in white).

Perhaps EE Copperfield wind pants? One of the custom options is white. Not sure how the fabric compares to MB’s. Perhaps read through Stephen Seeber’s recent articles and comments.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

The problem with windshirts as bug protection is that the windshirt will hold a boundary layer of air between it and skin that is roughly equivalent to 100 wt fleece in warmth. I keep trying , but unless it’s very windy I have to unzip or roll up to get some cooling, which lets the bugs in.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I do like the look of the MH Canyon but ‘Integrated mesh venting across back shoulders’ would rule it out as a bug shirt.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I have a really old Canyon, so the design may have changed. that mesh venting hasn’t been an issue in terms of bugs. It’s very tight weave under a flap. In any case a spritz of permethrin or even deet would help. The shirt has a very tight weave that seems to make it impenetrable to skeeters and flies.

the tight weave makes it warm. It performs well in wind.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thanks, I will have to see.  Most of these types of shirts are about as breathable as some of the higher cfm windshirts which is not saying much.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

Most of the time in RMNP, the designated sites are right next to water so the mosquitos generally hang out there. Otherwise, just walking or standing in a breeze will leave them behind. CO mosquitos are not strong fliers, so no need for anything while hiking.

Most of the time spent in camp is evening and morning when it’s cool, so the wind jacket goes on then anyway. Even when it’s warm while in camp, the wind jacket isn’t too stifling because of the lower exertion.

I thought the sun hoodie I got last year was thick enough, but it didn’t help at all on a warm, still evening, so I might spray it. I didn’t see or feel the bugs in the dark, but I sure felt the itching the next day.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thanks everyone.  I re-read this and let me see if I can break this down.  Please let me know if I am incorrect or there is something to add.

1.  There are windshirts that have a high cfm and could possibly work somewhat but they are in darker colors or have parts of them that are not bug proof.

2. There are sun hoodies (or were in Patagonia’s case) but they can be warm and will not stop bugs unless you spray them.

3. There are woven shirts that will stop the sun and bugs but don’t breath.

I do not think there is one that does both functions well but there is movement in technology that I think will get us close.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools