Topic

Willett's in the winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Willett's in the winter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

We went to Willett’s the day after Christmas. I’ve been there in August when it was 100 degrees in the shade. This time it was closer to 50 degrees in the sun. Either way, the hot spring is still 100 degrees.

Lots of people also did the same. It seemed as populated as it is in the spring.

The side creeks and the main Sespe Creek had water, which is nice. These were all dry when we did this in August. In August there was almost nobody back here. If you are looking for winter backpacking, the Los Padres National Forest is a good option.

The trail is wide and easy to follow. The light this time of year is soft and golden. The color of the dried plants are muted shades of green, red and gold.

The Sespe formation is a reddish layer of conglomerate and sandstone that creates interesting rounded shapes.

Hiking in desert or near-desert is enjoyable to people who like geology.

This trail is pretty easy. It’s about 9 or 10 miles from the trailhead to the hot spring on gentle trail. It is downstream going in. It’s upstream and thus uphill on the way out, but it’s so gentle you can’t tell the difference. The trail rises to the bench above the river on every corner and then drops down into every valley in between. The hills are gentle. There were families with children doing this backpack trip.

This is your prize for all your hard work!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’ve been many times….how did I forget about them?  I think a winter trip is in order…thanks!

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

I’m extremely sensitive to poison oak. Would you recommend this hike? Poison oak looks like sticks in the winter.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I’m sure there is poison oak here and there but compared to other places I have been, it was extremely minimal. The trail is wide and well-maintained and most of the time out in the sun where there was no poison oak at all. The camping is numerous and only rarely among oaks and plant life that would carry poison oak. There was no poison oak at the hot spring.

My pictures are typical of the hiking conditions. No shade, minimal brush, burned in the Day fire of 2007 or so, kind of desert-like.

By the way, there’s a second hot spring another day’s hiking from Willett. That’s the Sespe hot spring. There is probably significant poison oak in the canyon where Sespe hot spring lives.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools