Topic

Will carrying a compass around your neck, or wrist, damage it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Will carrying a compass around your neck, or wrist, damage it?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I’ve been carrying compasses for decades, usually around my neck, or even clipped to a backpack strap. A recent conversation with a fellow hiker got me thinking about the wisdom of this. He’s a retired aviation instrument repair guy and pointed out that a compass, being a precision instrument, shouldn’t be carried so it gets bounced around. This does make some sense to me, but soldiers and orienteers, as well as backpackers and hikers, have been doing this for years, although I realize that doesn’t make it right.  I’ve never had a compass so long that I thought I had to worry about this, but I am curious. Would any compass users like to chime it?  Thanks.

Jonas H
    BPL Member

@jonas-h

As you mention, there is extensive experience that it works. Analyzing a bit further, while a compass might be considered a precision instrument, it is also rather simple in its construction and thus robust. That being said, I think it is wise to treat it with care, since it is a crucial part of one’s ability to navigate, for example in fog (I personally never depend on GPS/phone to work). I think carrying it in a strap around the neck or on the pack would not cause damage to a normal compass, however a fall where it is swung in its string and hits a rock might.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I would think the 2 critical functions of a compass are

1 keep its magnetism such that the needle points North

2 the needle can freely rotate

Assuming you don’t compromise those core functions, I would think it’s fine. But as with everything,  less frequent and severe shock is better.  Also watch out for strong magnets

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

First, I think most compasses are robust enough to survive a little jostling.  Second, I don’t think I’d consider a lanyard around the neck or a pack strap as a place that would jostle a compass.

If I needed something to worry about with a compass, I’d worry about keeping it away from magnets.  For example, some tents now have magnetic tie-backs for doors.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I think the key is that no matter how much the compass gets jostled, the only moving part is so light that it can’t damage itself or the housing no matter how fast it moves.

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

I’ve had the same question in my head off and on.

Suunto, who made my compass, and maybe your compass too, saw fit to add a lanyard, and I’d trust them not to intentionally add a feature that would compromise their product. I’ve had the same one for years and it’s generally larks-headed onto a canoe thwart and left to slide around the boat as it sees fit. Admittedly my compass use is very low-stress; if something goes wrong I may paddle the perimeter of a lake more than I want to, but the only way I baby it is to keep it away from magnets and hot cars.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have carried my simple base-plate compasses on a string around my neck all my life. They have not suffered at all.
    Backpacking compasses are made for this; aviation and nautical compasses may be different.

Cheers

Ray J
    BPL Member

@rhjanes

I orienteer and have for over 15 years.  Those two compass’s I carry, One is a Thumb compass and one on a lanyard tied to my pants, have been thru a LOT.  Falling down small cliffs, rain, snow, orienteering in 25 degree weather.  Both are fine.  When not in use, I DO keep the thumb compass in a plastic bin all by itself.  My traditional base plate compasses are in a similar plastic bin when stored and with neoprene rubber separating them.  So have I had some compass’s “break” over the years?  Yes.  One was due to heat, left exposed to Texas sun, in a car.  The fluid in the crystal got a bubble in it.  The compass continued to function, sort of.  The bubble slows down the needle finding North and also seemed to push the needle.  The bubble would shrink some but never went away.  I tossed it.  The other compass, reversed on me!  So it pointed South.  There is a way to try and reverse them back but I didn’t try it.  It was a $12 base plate so I just replaced it.  What caused it to reverse?  I’m not sure but it must have been another strong magnetic field.

Orienteering, one thing we consider is to NOT wear much if any metal.  My belt is a compression strap (webbing and plastic buckle), my watch is a Timex with fabric strap.   All these things can affect the needle on a fine bearing.  When we are doing course setting, so we are out in the woods LOOKING for what we will use for Control items, we have our maps on clip boards.  I’ve had to take the map off the clipboard to get a better bearing because the metal clamp on the clipboard is affecting the needle.  Something to think about for backpackers.  Also when sighting, hold the compass away from you so any metal on you won’t affect the needle.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Avoid permanent magnets, like the ones that some reservoirs use for their bite valve.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools