Topic

Wildlife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Wildlife

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

A few more.

My all-time favorite sea bird: the arctic tern.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Holy smokes what a treat to wake up to!

I’m assuming the items in the box were found beachcombing?

I love swans and they are in town too.  I’ve been trying to get a good picture of one but even with 900mm of reach, I can get close enough due to how they have sections of our local wildlife refuge restricted from foot traffic.  We have both Tundra and Trumpeter swans although at a distance, and without better optics, it’s hard to tell which are which.

I hope to drive up to the arctic circle as my retirement trip within the next couple years.  I definitely plan on spending some time watching birds and wildlife.

Thanks again for the fantastic photo dump

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Phillip, those pictures make me think I should just throw away my cameras.

Incredible work and thanks for sharing.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Thanks, guys. And yes, the box is full of Japanese glass floats and whiskey bottles we had beach combed. I can’t tell a tundra from a trumpeter either, but I never claimed to be a bird nerd, haha.

A lot of these images are actually pretty old. Most of what I posted was shot with film cameras back in the late 1990s to early 2000s (the last batch being an exception). Since then I have migrated to digital but also switched to shooting more video. I wonder how different those images would look given the greater exposure latitude of modern digital cameras plus magical stuff like HDR?

One of the most amazing things about southwest Alaska is the absolute profusion of critters. It’s an incredibly biologically productive area both on land and in the ocean. Something is always walking, flying, or swimming by. Everywhere else I travel I wonder, “where did they put all the animals?” I feel blessed that my backyard is not a shabby spot to do a little adventuring.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Blessed indeed.  Beautiful pics!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Truly beautiful shots by all. Best. Thread. Ever.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I wonder how different those images would look given the greater exposure latitude of modern digital cameras plus magical stuff like HDR?

It isn’t the camera. It’s the person behind the lens!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Our house is in a perpetual state of remodel.   I took this photo of my 20v battery (about 20’ away from me) and charger with my phone, maxed out the optical zoom, maxed out the digital zoom, and then cropped it.  The right tools for the right job do make a difference.  Continued in next response…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

But I do generally agree with the sentiment of “It isn’t the camera. It’s the person behind the lens!”

It’s far more than equipment, and even technique.  It’s understanding animal behavior (eg birds will land into the wind).  It’s doing your homework so you’re in the right position to capture the animal in the best light.  Most of all, it’s showing up and putting in the work.

None of this is to say that I’m even a mediocre photographer in any genre, but packing my gear and driving a couple of hours only to come home skunked is a helluva teacher, and it makes me appreciate the hours of prep and fieldwork that is invested by other photographers when they come home with an epic photo.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

My wife is the one behind the lens on our walks…

Yours are over the top, Philip!

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Some randoms from near town…

Kodiak has lots(!) of mountain goats:

And tens of thousands of Sitka blacktail deer :

Steller sea lion populations are down, but there are still a bunch around:

Feral buffalo, anyone?

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Ughhhh….

Totally not fair

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

^LOL!!!  Bernie’s really getting around these days.  How does he find the time?

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

Sidetrack, but of possible general interest: @philip-ak, what are you shooting on these days? Your stills and video are gorgeous.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Older wide angle and POV shots were from a few generations of GoPros but now I have been using a DJI Osmo Action for the past 2 years.

General scenes and telephotos are from a few generations of Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS__ like the 20, 40, 60, etc.

A few scenics are from my iPhone XR.

Cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools