Topic

Wild Things Windshirt – No Longer Epic?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wild Things Windshirt – No Longer Epic?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

I have two Wild Things multicam windshirts that I bought used. Both seem to be in great condition and repel water pretty well and via a simple breathe test are lower than my spring 2012 Houdini or Dragonfly but definitely still fairly breathable. However I contacted Wild Things recently and they told me that their windshirts are now only using Epic for the Coyote color model. The specs on their site also show 30D nylon as a the fabric now (whereas before I believe it was 70D). Both have the angled pocket vs one that is vertical.

I then got paranoid and checked both my older wind shirts and the pair of Multicam pants I have – none have the Epic tag on them. Is that common  or is there a year cutoff when Wild Things moved to the new fabric? Anyone know if the new 30D is still a silicone encapsulate type fabric but just not using Epics specific branded formula?

The newer of the two wind shirts says it was manufactured in 2017 and the tag actually shows as “Wild Things Windshirt 2.0” . I had no idea there was a 2.0 and it seems even on their site they still list the Multicam as 1.0 so its very confusing. This windshirt has no hood. The style number is obscured and I cannot get to it without completely ripping the tags off. The tag says 100% nylon and that it is made in the USA.

The older wind shirt has the zip out hood and does not use french seams like the newer one. The style number is the same one listed on the website currently (and it says it is a wild things windshirt 1.0 on the tag). This shirt shows as 100% nylon microfiber. This one with the hood says “Made in Jordan”. No Epic tag either. Style number is: 50152WT1

I have one pair of pants and they do not have an Epic tag either. Fabric tag says is 100% nylon and it is made in the USA. Style number states: 50033/10305E.

Anybody know if any or all of these are silicone encapsulate technology like Epic? When I search through photos of old Wild Things windshirts on either ebay or threads here most of the Multicam versions I see that people claim to be Epic do not in fact have an Epic tag on them. This is opposed to many of the Wild Things primaloft insulated garments which all have the Epic tag.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools