Topic

Wiggys Ducks Back Fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wiggys Ducks Back Fabric

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

https://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/ducksback/

Wiggys is making garments out  of a fabric he calls Ducks Back because it sheds water so well.  Anyone have real world experience with it?

He sent me a small fabric sample and it does indeed repel water rather dramatically.  I can’t get water to go through with a couple minutes of effort and rubbing.

I can suck air through it with some effort so I would rate it as breathable but not very.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

What happens when you scratch the fabric with your fingernail for 30 seconds and then run water on it?

[weird script removed – MK]

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Stumphges,

Scratching for 30 seconds defeated it.  Scratched area wetted out. .

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

just another dwr that will fail.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I have been wondering when some established gear company would try to sell textile products with the new generation of short-lived superhydrophobic coatings. It seems like the perfect scam: it works amazingly, like it’s from the future, for the first few hours of wear. I’m not shocked that it was tried by a nutcase objectivist like Wiggy.

Also, it occurs to me that purchasing something sold by a rabid disciple of Ayn Rand might paradoxically violate the doctrine of self-interest. Seems like an example of Rearden snake oil, to me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools