Topic

Wide toebox, minimal drop. Hiker seeks Altra alternatives…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wide toebox, minimal drop. Hiker seeks Altra alternatives…

• This topic has 28 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ben ..
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Eric “Hearsay” Payne
    BPL Member

@ultrapayne

Locale: Mimbres Basin

Jake, that was an awesome write-up, thanks a ton for it.  I’ve ordered a pair of the blue Terraventure’s which shipped yesterday.  When they arrive, I’ll be able to take them out for a 10 miler to break them in.  I’ve got a 34 mi loop planned in 10 days, and if I’m pleased enough with the shoes, I’ll use them on that loop.  The trails are a mix of fast hard-packed buttery goodness, rocky ankle twistering climbs, and pine duft soft.  Will report back once I get some more miles on them (assuming they fit).

I never found the Altra Lone Peak 2.5’s to drain that exceptionally as well.  Would anyone say that the LP 3.0 does well when wet?  Slipping insoles has been a problem on the 2.5 also.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

I’ve been on 4 runs and a hike with the terraventures, and there’s a lot to like. The toebox is generous, but the midfoot is locked. Rock protection is quite good without sacrificing much flexiblity. The rock plate lines up with your forefoot with nice flex grooves for your toes. Its not a shoe that tries to tell your foot what to do. The grip is excellent and seems quite durable. I’m hoping that the glue won’t unstick from the foam like a lot of shoes with separate pods of rubber. The mesh and overlays feel light and flexible and yet substantial and well put together. The shoe gives the impression that it was designed for rugged use. On the down side, the heel is not all that locked. It could use some narrowing up, especially since its so soft.  Also, although I like a widish toe box, these and the altras might be a little too spacious. Sometimes my toes don’t really know what to do when running fast downhill or through technical terrain. Lowering the toebox could help your feet feel more connected to the shoe. Overall, these remind me a lot of a burlier version of the merrell trail glove, a shoe a used to love hiking in, but with a nice protective and cushy sole.

My favorite shoe in this category and probably my favorite shoe ever is the Nike Terra Kiger 3. From the fit of the upper to the platform, its the most foot shaped shoe I’ve found. They feel locked without even having to tie them tightly. Your toes have room to splay without feeling like they are swimming. I think that makes for a more responsive shoe in technical terrain. They are also refreshingly flat from back to front of the shoe, unlike altras that are essentially zero drop until the awkward toe rocker in the front. The zoom air has a bouncy responsive feel without being soft, or stacked too high. The lack of rock plate, and soft sticky rubber on the sole makes for a smooth and terrain conforming ride, especially as you wear them in. I also love hiking in these shoes. They are slipper like yet fairly durable. Unfortunately the soles are a little lacking in off trail durability. The boarder of high abrasion rubber starting separating from the sole after about 250 miles and a particularly tough off trail route. That said, I think they are perfect for just about any trail and they probably wouldn’t have had that issue on that trip with less miles already on them. The wildhorses also have a great ergonomic fit.

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

Mine arrived from REI today ($70 after the 20% off and my $20ish dividend). So far, I’ve only had the chance to take them on a few short hikes through the rugged terrain of my office (i.e. my opinion is worthless and will remain so for a few weeks), but my initial fit impression is really positive. I was wearing LP 2.5s for the last year or so, but these seem to be a more natural fit, and, with the reinforcements in the mesh along the side of the shoe (something that I know that Altra has been doing as well with recent models, although those haven’t fit me particularly well personally), these feel pretty close to what I was hoping for.

Only thing I don’t love about these is whatever the material is around the heel- it’s oddly-shaped for my heel, and I wouldn’t be completely surprised if I end up with some painful rubbing there.

Based on my quick take on these, I’m at least optimistic and excited. I’m only using it for hiking, usually on pretty well-developed trails, so I don’t really have the same technical fit/needs as some of the other posters, but I’m at least hopeful for the future here. I might circle back to the Lone Peaks once the 3.5 comes out, but my feet are really finicky about shoes, and I want to have something locked in before then for the season’s hiking.

ben .
    BPL Member

@frozenintime

since this is turning into a terraventure thread, i thought i’d add that i finally had a chance to take them out for about 8 miles today. (i don’t run.)

they are a lot like the mt-2. i’d have to wear the two shoes back to back to remember how they are different at all. i feel like the terraventure is a bit stiffer, but i also knew in advance that it had a rock plate in it, so i can’t totally trust my opinion on that yet.

these are shoes that you forget you’re wearing. they blend into the background. they don’t wow you with their cushion, or their ground feel, or anything much at all. they just work.

i have issues with my feet sliding forward on descents in (some) shoes, and have occasional morton’s toe as a result. to lock my heel down in order that the foot doesn’t slide forward, i have to tighten the terraventure laces to the point that it hurt a tiny bit where the foot meets the leg (whatever that’s called?), as the tongue on both topo shoes is a bit minimal.

that’s the only issue i can come up with after 8 miles.

the lugs seem quite sticky. visually they don’t inspire confidence, but in practice they were great today.

fyi.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools