Topic

Wide Scarpa/Sportiva Alternatives?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wide Scarpa/Sportiva Alternatives?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Luke C
    Spectator

@paylasoutdoors

Hey guys. It’s time for me to replace my boots. I’ve been rocking some Scarpa’s that are way too big for about 6 years now, and they’re finally falling apart. I didn’t know what I was doing when I get them, and the fit is terrible, but the boots are great. I really love the rand, the little pad they have on the toe of the sole for edging, and all that. I am not tied to a high top shoe, in fact, i’ve been considering approach shoes. Most of my trips are long weekends, bagging peaks, and mild class 3 and 4 scrambles. I want something that climbs fairly well, is good for big miles, and durable. I work in outdoor retail, but my store doesn’t carry stuff quite this technical, so I haven’t had a chance to explore different models. We have Sportiva TX Guides, and they are way too narrow for me. Lol

My feet: Altra shoes fit me VERY well. I’ve got that shape, the toe box, etc, but they suck for any scrambling at all. Too soft. I’ve considered Sportiva TX 4’s, but they are heavy, and Sportiva’s run pretty narrow… As do most Scarpa’s. So, open discussion, what do you wide toe’d people wear? What do you like? I really think an approach shoe would be great for me.

Cheers

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Try the TX3’s, lighter, still wide, better breathability.

avi sito
    BPL Member

@avisito

Akyras are wide enough for me. Very stiff sole as well.

Lyell K
    Spectator

@lyellfork

Reposting my own answer for a similar question on r/ultralight:

I’ve also got altra-feet (actually altras are a touch too narrow). For the Wind River High Route I’ll be using the Topo Athletic MTN Racer shoes. Dan Stenziano is using these currently for off-trail stuff (he did the super Sierra high route last year).

I did a bunch of research into appropriate shoes for my ridiculous duck-feet and for this kind of hike and I found 3 categories (from least to most technical):

Stiffer Trail Runners

• Altra King MT 1.0 (Wide; I think the 2.0s are less stiff :/)
    • Topo Terraventures (slightly less wide than Altras but fit better/better rubber. They’re a bit more stiff than the lone-peaks)
    • Topo MTN Racer (same width as terraventures but stiffer)
    • Astral TR1 Merge (wide af but not as supportive as topos I think. See post 1 and post 2 from Bedrock and Paradox, the guy who makes seek outside packs iirc)
    • Inov8 Shoes, ex. trail talon and others; not sure which will work but their more technical shoes are from their narrower fitting lines. See their width guide.
    • Saucony peregrine is in this category somewhere

Trail Runner/Approach Shoe crossovers

The Scarpas might be wider than the sportivas. The width works ok for me for short hikes.

• Scarpa Ribelle Run
    • La Sportiva TX-Guide

Approach Shoes

These are as wide as the previous category. I haven’t ever taken them on long hikes but they work fine for single-day peak bagging attempts

• La sportiva TX-3/4

Final note, you could try putting carbon insoles into any trail runner and see how that works out. The great thing is you can switch out the insoles when you don’t need the climbing capability! I’ve never tried this myself but I’m interested in trying it out sometime.

Luke C
    Spectator

@paylasoutdoors

For the TX 3s and 4s, how do you guys like to size those? More like a climbing shoe where you drop a size, or more true to street shoe size? In Sportivas I am a 47 in Bushidos, 46.5 in Akyras. Would I be correct in ordering a 47?

Lyell, thanks for highlighting the Ribelle Runs, those look super sick. I think I’ll pick a pair of those up and give them a shot as a new trail runner.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

For the TX3’s I had to go up a half size from my normal.  I have been wearing Topo Terraventure 2’s and Ultraventure Pros for trail use here in the East but use the TX3’s for desert and off trail stuff like the Wind Rivers- I find the high rand gives the needed protection.

Lyell K
    Spectator

@lyellfork

I suggest sizing for intended use, I got mine a little tighter for better climbing ability. Best option is to go to the store with a bit thicker sock than normal (to simulate foot swell) and size them so they feel like your normal hiking shoe.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

In the La Sportiva TX4, I kept my standard 11.5 sizing. Just finished a 60 mile trip in them, never better, they fit like a moccasin. Tread is so so. Grippy on large rock, not so good with loose scrambles. Best for trail and not too aggressive off trail. The Topo Mtn Racers, I had to drop a .5 size to 11. The toe box is too large in normal sizing for me. Those are incredibly light, awesome traction on large rocks and loose material. Unfortunately the tread wears very quick. I saw considerable wear in one 5 day trip. The TX4’s have a slight heel which holds a gaiters heel strap. Where the Mtn Rcr’s have no heel and the same heel strap will slip backwards and get tore and chunked up on rock’s and the like.

Nathan R
    BPL Member

@nathanr

Locale: TX

Highly recommend the tx3. I’ve worn tx3 on the wind high route as well as several other high routes and off trail hiking in desert, canyon etc. extremely grippy, withstand granite and cactus, yet comfortable to hike in all day. I have flattish feet and wear normal size as-is. Wear my regular size. Only downside is they’re a bit slow to dry.

Luke C
    Spectator

@paylasoutdoors

Thanks guys. Scooped up some TX3’s and Ribelle Runs. Hoping 46.5 EU is the ticket. Haha. I’ll let you know. So far the Ribelle Runs fit perfectly. Still waiting on TX3s.

Lyell K
    Spectator

@lyellfork

How are the ribelle runs? Any preliminary review you can give? The Topo MTN racer 2s I got got absolutely shredded after two weeks on the wind river high route.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools