Topic

Why don’t any 1P pyramid style shelters have corners at the foot and head ends?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Why don’t any 1P pyramid style shelters have corners at the foot and head ends?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Yesterday I was outside messing around with my Altaplex tarp and tent (I have both) and seeing how much I could modify their shape for different purposes. One thing that stands out as very obvious, is that the flat foot and head ends of the shelter are not optimal for longer sleepers. Another thing that is obvious, is that a cat-cut shelter does not like having its core shape messed with, at all. LOL

Here is what I am thinking. Why not add another tension line going to the apex, thus creating additional sleeping room with minimal added weight. It makes the foot and head ends triangular instead of square. I did this with my Altaplex tarp using my added guyline points used for winter camping and the added foot and head room for sleeping was pretty massive. I could lay flat out with the shelter pitched lower to the ground. Although I would never do this in real use, as it would ruin the DCF by not being made to do that.

So, what is the main issue with doing a shelter like this? The solution for making it better for taller hikers is painfully obvious, so there must be some reasoning for not doing it this way? It wouldn’t even add much weight if the far corners were brought in a little. And might also take away the need for mid-panel guy lines on the foot and head ends.

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

I concur.  The Diamond Solo from BPWD is along those lines.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It occurs to me that you are almost describing a Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform Min, except that it has two poles.

Niko Z.
    Spectator

@niko-z

Locale: SE Asia, Europe

Something like this, perhaps?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPcaVqW

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My guess is that by making corners at the foot and head ends you would be making the shelter both more complicated to set up and to manufacture.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

There is this
    £40.43 | Ultralight 1 Person 410G Camping Tent Outdoor 20D Nylon Both Sides Silicon Coating Rodless Pyramid outdoor zelt 4 Season Tent
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_v4wKzY

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools