Topic

Why are USB Cords so Finicky?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Why are USB Cords so Finicky?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Maybe it’s just me … but last summer on the CT I had a USB wall plug fail spontaneously; this morning I had a regular USB to microUSB cord fail.  This means I’d better pack an extra one (more weight I don’t really want)…

Is this normal?  I know Apple devices are very particular about charging cords/plugs, but these failures weren’t on Apple devices.  Some of the cords were cheapie ones from the local drugstore; others were Apple or Amazon branded ones.  Do the temperature extremes of thru-hiking cause more failures?  Maybe one of our resident engineers will know…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I think they just make them cheaply. Some Apple lightning cords were known to wear out fairly quickly. You might try one of the new ‘overbuilt’ cords to see if they last longer for you.

Also, if you need an extra USB to MicroUSB cord and don’t have one, let me know. I have plenty! Happy to send you one.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

I’ve found the Lightning cables are most likely to wear out and fray where the cable meets the connector, and the micro USB cables tend to fail in the connector itself. In the former case, the damage is visible and obvious, and in the later, the damage often isn’t visible. I assume the pins in the micro USB connector get bent or otherwise misaligned. In general, I’ve found Lightning cables to fail less quickly, provided I use quality cables.

What I have found to be very unreliable, and what I recommend you stay away from, are micro USB to Lightning adapters. These are small attachments, less than half an inch long, that connect to the micro USB connector and plug into a Lightning port. Apple, Amazon Basics, and several other brands sell them. I’ve used the Amazon and some other third party brands, and they both fail very quickly. It looks like a nice way to save a little weight of you have, say, an iPhone and a headlamp to charge, but you’re likely to be disappointed.

Anker sells a Powerline+ series of cables (micro USB and Lightning) that claim to be more robust. Anybody have any experience with them?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Hmmm, maybe it’s just another example of our “disposable” culture…too bad.  Global warming isn’t going to get any better throwing that stuff away (don’t mean to get chaffy, but it’s a bit depressing).

Interestingly, I’ve had cords that were very damaged-looking work great; it’s this invisible damage that’s got me confused.

Doug:  Ever the gentleman!  Thanks for your thoughtful offer; I’ve got a ton of cords, I’d just like to pack fewer of them on my ever-aging back, LOL!

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England

Anker PowerLine to the rescue:

https://www.anker.com/products/taxons/110/Cables

Kevlar reinforced cable and PVC strain-relief collars.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ valerie, when you say failure, are you referring to USB power only or data transfer only or recharging some sort of smart device?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

@btolley, I use the cords/wall plugs on the trail strictly for charging various devices (InReach, Kindle, iPhone, powerpack, MP3 player, etc. — each one a different brand).  And yes, strictly speaking, I only use the wall plugs when I’m in a town for resupply (not on the trail); the cables get used both on-trail and in towns.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Cheap Cheap Cheap
    Because that way they hope you will buy another one. More profit.

I found a complete break in one wire in a 10 Amp power cable coming out of a power saw a couple of weeks ago. Zero visible damage from the outside. Robust and certified power cable. Took me a while to find. What hope does a little USB cord have?

Cheers

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

@jimothy – the actual Apple brand micro USB to lightning adapters work well.  I’ve had several Apple lightning cables wear through the insulation at the lightning end, but it doesn’t impair their use, and I generally just patch it up with Sugru once it starts which is an effective fix.

However I’ve ended up most happy with these instead:

http://amzn.com/B00WFNNJB2

Cheap – under $5.

Light – even lighter when I cut off the 30-pin connector I don’t need.  No excessive cord length I don’t need.

Functional – charges everything I have with the other 3 plugs.  I can use the cord to charge 3 devices at once.  Works for higher-amperage charging.

The micro USB plug on one failed me once so I replaced it, but an older one that has seen more use is still going strong.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Timely thread.  I had a $10 gas station micro usb cable fail on me during my last hike.  The Lifeproof provided micro usb cable works fine but I don’t need a three foot cable when backpacking.

I can’t speak from personal experience as I just bought them but Wirecutter gives the previously mentioned Anker cable a thumbs up and Amazon reviews are at 4.7 to 5 stars depending on which length of cable you look at.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-micro-usb-cable/

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

“Doug:  Ever the gentleman!”

I don’t dispute the claim but spend a week on the trail listening to his highly entertaining limericks, or watch him hang a bear bag, and you’ll have to place an asterix next to “gentleman.”

*gentleman with highly developed sense of humor and potty mouth.

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

Perhaps a little off topic. Last year I happened to be reading about USB receptacles (and plugs?) and was surprised to learn that their designed lifetimes are about 1000 insertions. Not a large number. My tablet will be worn out in one year with that constraint :(

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

*gentleman with highly developed sense of humor and potty mouth.

But that’s the very best kind, don’ch’a know!!!!  Also describes me (I hope!), if the sense of humour is edgy and often goes “over the line” (but only when I’m with the right folks)…political correctness allows for very little humour that isn’t bland and only-just-slightly-ironic; a certain degree of shock is often what creates the laughs…ask Lenny Bruce.

I’ll try out the Anker cables, as suggested (thanks Jack & Ian); so inconvenient when something you need, daily, suddenly stops working during a long trip…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

designed lifetimes are about 1000 insertions.

Oops! I use a USB key for sneakernet transfers to my CNC. And I HAVE noticed some deterioration in the connection. Hum …

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

People tend to store their cords in compact tight coils. I find this adds to early death. I store mine in large loops with a loose rubber band in the center. Don’t take them hiking, but used to fly 100K miles a year so there was a lot of packing and unpacking. I’ve always had the most problem with micro-USB cords, especially for data transfer. Much fewer problems with Apple Lightening.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

when you plug and unplug, be gentle

feel it going in, you can tell if it doesn’t quite mate

don’t unplug by yanking on the cord

it’s like any self respecting mechanical person would be embarrassed to admit they stripped a screw

(I always like to blame the victim)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

“when you plug and unplug, be gentle

feel it going in, you can tell if it doesn’t quite mate

don’t unplug by yanking on the cord”

Well that escalated quickly.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

this is chaff isn’t it???

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Jerry,

I suggest you re familiarize yourself with Chaff’s rules

“no “adult” content.”

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I’m not an adult so I should be okay

So, the adult content should go in the non chaff forum?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

I believe apple stores have a 1 year warranty on any cable you purchase through them

overall ive found that apple cables last longer than cheap copies

;)

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

I’ve been using these for some time now without fail:

http://amzn.to/29Rpu0e

I just put on a Apple 30-pin

http://amzn.to/2aBfhmB

or Lightning adapter

http://amzn.to/2azmIOF

on the end if needed. I ditch the key ring, but keep the micro-side cover…keeps it from poking holes in things.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

TL/DR My initial impressions with the Anker PowerLine Micro USB 1′ cable is that it’s twice the quality at half the cost.

My 1′ Anker PowerLine Micro USB arrived on July 25 and I can’t say that I’ve used it exclusively since then but it has seen a fair amount of use.  I haven’t owned it long enough to give a long term review but my initial impressions are favorable and it feels like a well built cable compared to others I have used.  I think 1′ is the ideal length for me when backpacking as I just don’t need 3 or more feet when charging my devices from a battery bank.  YMMV, especially if you use solar panels.

I ordered it off of Amazon for $4.99; here’s the link:

The last micro USB cable (~3′) I purchased from a gas station cost twice as much and failed after two months.

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

I think it is because the design hasn’t evolved from the original.  There are some attempts to move past flimsy wiring but they are probably not as universally compatible, but really when you have materials that break after enough bends, and rely on it to connect loose, weighted items, it is only enough time before it frays.  This is the reason why they braid tiny wires in your cables, it affords more bend count than if it were just solid metal.

I always dream about an external battery with connector that works like the wireless landline phones, getting rid of the wire in exchange for a durable dock.

Thinking about the usb wires like garden hoses might help.  obviously thin gauge hoses kink easier and eventually start to split.  Plus the biggest kink spot is near the male/female adapter, that is why you see a ton of hoses with hardened sleeves on the ends.  This can be added to a usb wire with a pen spring and some tape

Eli Zabielski
    BPL Member

@ezabielski

Locale: Boulder, CO

I have had many micro USB cables fail in the same way over the years: they only work when you plug them in and then press them in one direction to force contact. This is because (if you look closely), there are two little spring type things on the long side of the micro USB plug. These springs are required for contact to be created, but they are easily damaged, and then the cable doesn’t work well. So even if you get a reinforced cable, it’s still vulnerable to this problem. Apple’s Lightning cable and USB-C aren’t vulnerable to this problem.

On Amazon a few years ago I found a super short 5inch micro USB cable that had a cap for both ends, and this solved the problem. You can probably find USB caps on Amazon to protect the ends of the cable.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools